[Rarebooks] FA: 1855 South American Expedition w/Bird Chromos, other plates, etc.

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Sat Oct 7 15:25:09 EDT 2006

Recently listed, no reserve-

“U.S. Naval Astronomical Expedition to the Southern Hemisphere, during the
years 1849-’50-’51-’52.” By Lt. J.M. Gilliss. Printed by A.O.P. Nicholson,
Washington: 1855. 2 volumes.

These beautifully and copiously illustrated volumes include a rather
extraordinary 69” partly colored, folding panorama of Santiago, Chile (see
below); 9 engraved maps & plans (4 of them folding); 11 brightly colored
plates of birds (of 15- 4 plates are missing); 3 other color lithographed
plates (of 4- lacks the plate of an Araucanian chief); 5 duotone
lithographed plates and 17 steel-engraved plates of fauna, fossils and
Indian artifacts, and various woodcuts throughout the text.

These days Gilliss is more famous in astronomical circles than natural
history circles, as he founded both the U.S. Naval Observatory and the
observatory in Santiago, Chile.

See more details, pictures, and info on all our auctions at-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Ebay-Auctions.htm>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get
special discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

--> See our new "FIRE & ICE" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_282.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our