[Rarebooks] FS: Important Early Glass Book -from our new FALL catalog

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Wed Oct 18 08:02:23 EDT 2006

>From our new FALL catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_287.htm>

Neri, Antonio. L'ARTE VETRARIA DISTINTA IN LIBRI SETTE...  Milano;
Giovanni Silvestri: 1817. First published in Florence in 1612.

"Having regard to the influence of this book on future writers on the
subject, especially upon those who sought to make glass by Venetian
methods in England and elsewhere, it may without doubt be given the
premier place as the most important work that has ever appeared on the
preparation of glass" (Dillon).

We know little of Antonio Neri (1576-1614), except that he was a
Florentine priest and chemist who broke tradition by publishing the first
printed book solely devoted to the art of the glassmaker. These arts were
trade secrets, and you didn't fool around with trade secrets. The
Venetians (for instance) guarded their own glassmaking formulas and
techniques so jealously that they had announced a death penalty for any
glassmaker who traveled abroad and shared them.

Neri began in Florence under the patronage of Antonio de Medici, to whom
he formally dedicates this book in the usual florid style of the day. Neri
later moved to Pisa and Antwerp, before returning to Florence around 1611.
In his "L'Arte Vetraria" Neri documented and described the formulas for
glass derived from his own long association with the glassworks in
Florence and Antwerp; Ferguson notes that he also worked at the Murano
glasshouses. Neri's book was translated into English (1662), Latin (1668),
German (1678), and Spanish (ca.1778). The book also became the basis for a
number of later works.

Softcover. 4"x6.5", xxiv + 279 + [i] pages. Issued as part of the
Biblioteca scelta d'Opere Italiane series, and with the original orange
paper covers with the series title imprinted on the front cover and Neri's
title imprinted on the spine. Covers soiled and somewhat worn, spine with
large chip taking out the top third, but it is very pleasing that these
fragile paper covers have survived at all; tips thumbed, some light
internal spotting and soil. Despite the flaws, a very pleasing copy in its
original state. [05318] $375.00

Browse the entire catalog on the web-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_287.htm>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get
special discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

--> See our new "FIRE & ICE" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_282.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our
Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features
86 separate subject categories, and has
full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.