[Rarebooks] FS: Tennessee Williams Letter: "I returned from the mad-house hungry for a tiny bit of affection...."

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu Oct 19 10:30:27 EDT 2006

 From our new catalogue of 137 items, nearly all recent acquisitions, by EUDORA
WELTY and TENNESSEE WILLIAMS now posted on our web site.

WILLIAMS, Tennessee. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS). n.p.: 16 May 1970.
SIGNED  and dated as "10," his intimate signature. To Danny [Stirrup],
an  old  friend in Key West who had worked on Williams's house  there,
in  full:  "I waited as long as I could for some word from  you  about
the  erection of the Jane Bowles Summer-house which I want to sit  and
meditate  for  a  while in before I leave for my  summer  abroad  from
which  I  may  not return like a swallow of Capistrano.  And  so  last
night,  not having up till that point, heard any word from you,  asked
Fontis  to  put it up with a good carpenter and a very  simple  little
Gothic,  not Byzantine, design that we'd drawn at a bar-table. He will
start  on it Monday and the top estimate is $1700. which is below  the
amount  that an experienced architect would or should accept but all I
wish  to  expend  on  the project as it will serve only  as  room  for
bridge-playing  and  for solitary reflecting upon the madness  of  the
world.  I  have  not talked to anyone but you about the cause  of  the
interruption  in  our long friendship. But now I will. It can be  said
very  simply.  I returned from the mad-house hungry for a tiny bit  of
affection,  tenderness,  sympathy, understanding, none of  which  were
offered  and they were as necessary to me as the air I breathe.  Then,
being  a  tiger, I turned, for tigers will turn on mortal  adversaries
at  last.  That's  it and that's all. Forget me, Don Quixote,  if  you
choose  to, or remember me as a loyal and patient friend to those  who
are  friends  and I still believe you are one. The best of  luck  with
your  important  project in Palm Beach. Love, 10." Some wrinkling  and
creasing, still Very Good. Superb content!                    $2000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent