[Rarebooks] FS: FIRE & ICE: A Selection of 19th C. Books

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu Sep 14 08:22:05 EDT 2006

>From our new FIRE & ICE Catalog-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_282.htm>

- - - - - - - - -

Brend, William. THE STORY OF ICE IN THE PRESENT AND PAST. London; George
Newnes: 1899. A popular scientific look at ice- its properties, glaciers,
ice sheets and icebergs, snow & hail, and the history of ice on Earth in
the past, including past Ice Ages in Europe and America, and life during
Glacial periods. Uncommon. Hardcover. 4”x6”, 228 pages, frontispiece and
37 b/w illustrations; pictorial blue cloth, light soil, a little wear.
[09333] $85.00

Prudden, T. Mitchell, M.D. DRINKING-WATER AND ICE SUPPLIES AND THEIR
RELATIONS TO HEALTH AND DISEASE. New York; G.P. Putnam’s Sons: 1891.
Although most of the book is concerned with water, its supply and
impurities, the final three chapters deal with ice harvesting and storage,
impurities in harvested ice, and the production of artificial ice.
Hardcover. 5”x7”, 148 pages, 6 b/w illustrations; light soil, a minute
amount of wear; library association bookplate, but no other marks. [09335]
$85.00

[Snow Removal] IMPROVED METHOD OF AND APPARATUS FOR REMOVING SNOW OR ICE
FROM THE STREETS OR OTHER PLACES.  Her Majesty’s Stationary Office: 1895.
A patent specification by Richard Ripley of Liverpool for a horse-drawn
cart with a wood or coal-fired boiler underneath, so that snow or ice
removed from the roads and shoveled into the hopper above the boiler will
be melted as the cart moves down the road and the water then siphoned off
into the gutters or road drains. I can’t imagine why this never caught on.
Disbound; 7.5”x11”, 4 pages + 2 folding plates; light soil; Patent Library
stamp. [09342] $45.00

Tomlinson, Charles. THE FROZEN STREAM. AN ACCOUNT OF THE FORMATION AND
PROPERTIES OF ICE IN VARIOUS PARTS OF THE WORLD. London; Society for
Promoting Christian Knowledge: [1862]. A treasure trove of information,
including chapters on the properties of ice, glaciers, icebergs, ice
houses, the ice trade and artificial production of ice, and ice sports and
amusements. Uncommon. Hardcover. 4.25”x6.5”, 260 pages + 4 pages of
publisher’s advertisements; line illustrations; publisher’s green cloth,
light cover wear and soil, several light marginal stains; overall a nice
copy. [09334] $100.00

See the entire FIRE & ICE Catalog here->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_282.htm>

- - - - - - - -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get
special discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our "SUMMER" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_280.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our
Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features
86 separate subject categories, and has
full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.