[Rarebooks] FS: Newly Added- 1867 Interior Decoration w/Color Plate

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Wed Sep 20 10:12:55 EDT 2006

>From our newly released catalog-
RECENT ACQUISITIONS FOR SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

Hay, D[avid] R[amsay]. THE INTERIOR DECORATOR, BEING THE LAWS OF
HARMONIOUS COLORING ADAPTED TO INTERIOR DECORATIONS. With Observations on
the Practice of House Painting.

Philadelphia; Henry Carey Baird: 1867.
First American, from the 6th London, edition.

David Ramsay Hay was one of the most influential color theorists of the
Victorian era, and was a practical craftsman as well, attaining the status
of Decorator to the Queen. This title was first published in 1828, and
completely re-written for the 6th edition. The text is divided into two
parts, the first treating the theory and laws of colors, the second
addressing decorating issues more practically.

The second section begins by describing plain painting materials and types
of colors and paints, and then moves on to decorative painting, including
imitating woods and marbles, gilding, paper-hanging, stippling, decorative
borders, imitation damasks, gold embroidery and leather. There is
additional material on the analogies between sound and color, “cheap”
painting, and “Reminiscences of the painting and decorating of
Abbotsford”. This last refers to one of Hay’s most famous commissions, the
redecorating of fellow-Mason Sir Walter Scott’s manor. An influential and
increasingly uncommon treatise on Victorian-era interior painting and
decorating, and one of a very few Baird books to have a color
illustration.

Hardcover. 5”x7.5”, 207 pages, colored frontispiece; publisher’s black
cloth with gilt spine title; a little wear, but a very nice, clean, tight
copy. [09461] $300.00

To see more Recent Acquisitions go to->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get
special discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our "SUMMER" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_280.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our
Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features
86 separate subject categories, and has
full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.