[Rarebooks] FS: Newly Added- Important 1913 Ancient Bronze Catalog

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Mon Sep 25 07:40:39 EDT 2006

>From our newly released catalog-
RECENT ACQUISITIONS FOR SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

Sieveking, Johannes. DIE BRONZEN DER SAMMLUNG LOEB.  Munchen: 1913. An
elegantly produced catalog of ancient Roman, Hellenistic, Etruscan and
Egyptian bronze mirrors, figures, busts, and other artifacts owned by
noted collector and philanthropist James Loeb. Loeb [1867-1933] retired
early from the family business and spent the rest of his life traveling,
collecting, and doing good things with his money. He founded the Loeb
Classical Library at Harvard, became a trustee at the American School of
Classical Studies at Athens, and helped found what would become the
Julliard School in New York. The bronzes illustrated in this catalog,
along with this ancient pottery, were eventually given to the Staatliche
Antikensammlungen in Munich. Loeb explained his philanthropy by writing-

        “In an age when the Humanities are being neglected more perhaps
than at any time since the Middle Ages, and when men's minds are
turning more than ever before to the practical and the material,
it does not suffice to make pleas, however eloquent and
convincing, for the safeguarding and further enjoyment of our
greatest heritage from the past. Means must be found to place
these treasures within the reach of all who care for the finer
things of life."

    Hardcover. 9"x12", 86 pages of text with 12 collotype illustrations in
the text and 46 gravure plates; printed on a fine, heavy cream stock;
original parchment covers, spine soiled, boards lightly soiled; spine
label perished. A lovely catalog. [09530] $375.00

To see more Recent Acquisitions go to->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get
special discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

--> See our new "FIRE & ICE" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_282.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our
Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features
86 separate subject categories, and has
full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.