[Rarebooks] FS: Newly Added- 1/7 on Vellum- Franklin Satire

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue Sep 26 08:20:43 EDT 2006

>From our newly released catalog-
RECENT ACQUISITIONS FOR SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

[Tickell, Richard] The Green Box of Monsieur de Sartine found at
Mademoiselle du The.

New York; Charles F. Heartman: 1916.
One of 7 copies printed on Japan Vellum;
the main edition was limited to only 65 copies.

Charles Heartman was a noted bibliophile and an editor of the American
Book Collector; he was also a bibliographer of Edgar Allen Poe and books
relating to African-Americans. This particular title is from his series of
limited edition reprints of curious early books relating to America.

The "Green Box" was published in Paris and London in 1779 and purported to
be a group of letters discovered in a French diplomatic dispatch box
relating to the American Revolution, including two letters written by
Benjamin Franklin. What it actually was was a pointed satire on the French
alliance by the English satirist Richard Tickell, who takes digs at just
about everybody, including some of his fellow Britons. For instance, a
description of the first meeting of Marie Antoinette with Dr. Franklin and
the rest of the American contingent-

        “’Pon my faith!’ said the Queen, ‘I must say that they are nothing
but rabble!’

        ‘But,’ I answered, ‘look at Dr. Franklin’s white hat, it is the
emblem of innocence.’

        ‘And at his spectacles,’ said the Countess, ‘they are what I call
real economy’ (one of the lenses was broken).

         The Duke de Coigny who was present at the time assured her that
singular as the doctor was with his white hat and one-lensed
spectacles, he had nevertheless found the secret of bottling up
lightning, and that, uncorking it, he could cause worse troubles
than Pandora when she opened her box, or the companions of
Ulysses when they opened the goatskin. All of which made us laugh
very heartily because we did not understand a word of what he was
saying...

         For heaven’s sake, my friend, send me some dancing masters and
French tailors for the barbaric ambassadors, and above all, get
his Excellency the doctor to have his glasses mended.”

Heartman's reprint is very handsome, featuring a facsimile of the original
title page. Hardcover. 6.5"x9.5", 60 pages, bound in 3/4 leather with
marbled boards, as issued. Some slight scuffing to the covers, but the
contents are fine. [09527] $350.00

To see more Recent Acquisitions go to->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get
special discounts and offers on selected books!

--> See our new "SEPTEMBER-OCTOBER" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_284.htm>

--> See our new "FIRE & ICE" catalog
<http://www.joslinhall.com/catalog_282.htm>

--> Stay up to date daily with our
Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

--> Our full-service website features
86 separate subject categories, and has
full search capabilities.

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.