[Rarebooks] For Sale: The Chamberlain copy of Whittier's "Vision of Echard"

Norman Kane nkane at kanebooks.com
Tue Apr 3 01:10:08 EDT 2007

WHITTIER, JOHN GREENLEAF.   THE VISION OF ECHARD AND OTHER
POEMS.  Boston: Houghton, Osgood & Co.; Cambridge: Riverside Press,
1878. First edition.  BAL 21958: binding A.  Small octavo, original
gold-stamped cloth, beveled edges, top edge gilt, decorated end
papers.  A nice copy, in a custom cloth dust jacket with leather
label. From the collection of the noted collector and bibliographer,
Jacob Chester Chamberlain,with his bookplate
(stars, a U.S. shield, the Western Hemisphere, and books.)  A
superior copy.  (Includes his "At Eventide," which concludes:
"Justice whose clear eyes / through lapse and failure look to the
intent, / and judge our frailty by the life we meant."
)  $125.00                   (Trade Discount, 10%)

THE AMERICANIST (ABAA),
113 Creeks Edge, Chapel Hill, NC USA 27516-8962
Telephone: 919-967-9287 email: nkane at kanebooks.com.
Proprietor: Norman Kane (50 years as an antiquarian bookseller.)
To view our recent listings, visit www.kanebooks.com