[Rarebooks] FS: PILOT Inscribed by famed air-racing pilot to WWI Ace

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Tue Apr 10 11:38:10 EDT 2007

 From our new Internet-only Catalogue which has just been posted on our
website: http://www.erols.com/agvent
It contains 57 AVIATION & SPACE items including a selection of books
from the library of leading World War I Ace Eddie Rickenbacker, as well
as books signed by Neil Armstrong, Amelia Earhart, Charles Lindbergh,
and Antoine Saint Exupery, and some interesting 19th century aviation
material.

LeVIER,  Tony,  as told to John GUENTHER  (RICKENBACKER,  Eddie).
PILOT.  New  York: Harper Brothers (1954). First Edition.  Illustrated
with  photographs.  This  copy INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the  author  to
Eddie   Rickenbacker  on  a   tipped-in  page:  "Presented/To/'CAPTAIN
EDDIE'/a  leader  in  world  aviation/and   a  beloved  friend  of/the
pilot./The  expressions  in  your  review/of my  book,  'Pilot,'  make
me/very  happy.  I  am indeed proud/to be called a friend  of  the/man
that  has  done great deeds/throughout his life./Like  many  others, I
too  have/watched and admired your/achievements brought  forth/because
of  your  great  wisdom./May the  name/RICKENBACKER/live  forever/Tony
LeVier."  The  book contains a foreword by Arthur  Godfrey,  long-time
pal  of  Rickenbacker's.  Medal of Honor-winning World War  I  aviator
Eddie  Rickenbacker  flew a total of  300
combat  hours, reportedly more than any other U.S. pilot in World  War
I,  and  his  26 victories as a pilot constituted an  American  record
that  stood  until  World  War  II.  After  the  war,  he  started  an
unsuccessful  automobile  company; his most lasting business  endeavor
was  his  lifelong leadership of Eastern Air Lines which  Rickenbacker
transformed    from  a  small  airline   to  a   major   international
transportation  company. LeVier, one of America's premier pilots,  was
an  air  racer  and test pilot for the Lockheed Corporation  from  the
1940s  to the 1970s when he first flew a number of different aircraft.
Near Fine, lacking the dustwrapper.                            $350.00
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent