[Rarebooks] Cesar Chavez

Serendipity Books pbhoward at serendipitybooks.com
Fri Aug 17 12:56:45 EDT 2007

Chavez, Cesar = Director, National Farm Workers Association

White card, 6.4 x 9.2 cn, rounded corners, printed on both sides.
Membership card for University Members, they to sign and identify
their institution. Illustrated with the Farm Workers insignia (art
deco black eagle, wings spread in a red circle).  Delano, CA: printed
in San Francisco by Union printers, with bug, 1966. "This academic
membership in the National Farm Workers Association testifies to your
intellectual and financial commitment in the development of a
grassroots organization in California for the purpose of achieving
the rights and dignity due California farm workers. We, of the NFWA,
in turn, pledge our lives to achieve this end. Signed in full in blue
ink by Cesar E(estrada) Chavez. On verso, Chavez's further statement:
"VIVA LA CAUSA / The organizer has to work more than anyone else in
that group. Almost no one in a group is totally committed. And in the
initial part of the movement there's the fear that when the organizer
leaves, the movement will collapse. So you have to be able to say,
'I'm not going to be here in a year, or six months, but an awful long
time - until when they get rid of me they'll have leaders to do it
themselves.'" Chavez: March 21, 1937 - April 23, 1993.   The Delano
Strike, early 1966. An American hero.  $150.00

Terms:

1) Any book may be returned for any reason.
2) We welcome Mastercard, Visa, Amex, Personal Checks, Payment by Wire.
3) We do not charge postage.
4) Institutions may be invoiced to suit their requirements.
5) California Sales Tax charged to California addresses.

Peter B. Howard
Serendipity Books
1201 University Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94702