[Rarebooks] FS - Two Months on the Tobique

GREENFIELD BOOKS mail at greenfieldbooks.com
Tue Aug 21 20:23:06 EDT 2007

/*TWO MONTHS ON THE TOBIQUE, New Brunswick. An Emigrant's Journal,
1851.*/ Bound in original carmine cloth, ruled in blind, and lettered in
gilt. Smith, Elder and Co., London. 1866. Small 8vo, pp. vii, 196.

No author's name is shown, but TPL attributes authorship to "London,
M.C.S." [sic]. The name "Macworth Shove" is written in pencil at the top
of the title page. According to the Preface, the author sailed from
England in the fall of 1851, and for two months lived in a wigwam on the
banks of the Tobique River in the interior of the Canadian province of
New Brunswick (although it was then not organised as a province but was,
until 1867, subject to British suzerainty). The author "came to the
conclusion, as far as his own experiences enabled him to judge, that the
chances of success were not in the emigrant's favour. But he recorded
his impressions of his voyage out there, of his short sojourn in St.
John and Fredericton, and of his two months' solitude in a forest
wigwam." Also published by Smith, Elder, as "Adventures in Canada /
Being Two Months on the Tobique", without a date of publication, but
with a frontispiece. See TPL 3181 for our title, and TPL 3182 for the
alternate title.

The boards of our copy are worn and soiled, with bumping to the corners,
and rubbing to the edges. The spine was beginning to detach and our
conservator expertly repaired (but did not hide) that defect. The front
hinge has been repaired, although this is difficult to discern. Early
signature of "W. L. Ewart" on front free endpaper. Contents generally
clean, with a few random spots of soiling. A good copy, which may be
read without trepidation.

Price: $350.00.

Terms of sale - The price is in USD. Payment by check or credit card.
Postage and packing charge is $7. Returnable within seven days of
receipt if not as described.

Greenfield Books Ltd.
Member: ABAC/ILAB
217 Academy Road,
Winnipeg, MB R3M 0E3 Canada
Toll-free: 866-263-BOOK (2665)
Telephone: 204-488-2023
Web site: http://www.greenfieldbooks.com
*Secure credit card payment service available*