[Rarebooks] 2 Woolfs at the door....and.....in.....and...

Serendipity Books pbhoward at serendipitybooks.com
Wed Aug 22 14:00:31 EDT 2007

1)      Woolf (Virginia)  KEW GARDENS.
Decorations by Vanessa Bell.  [London:] The
Hogarth Press (November 1927)  4to, original
white paper boards designed and decorated by
Vanessa Bell. Spine has splitting tightened and a
chip re-attached. Corners bruised. Unpaged.  Each
of the three editions of KEW GARDENS differs
significantly. The first, ca 8.75” is 16 pp, with
two woodcuts, in wrappers, one of 150; the
second, 1919, is (4), (14) pp, 8.5”, in wrappers,
one of 500. The third, in hand, is much the
largest of the three, expanded to 48 pp, rising
as a crown 4to to 10 1/8”.  Each page of text is
illustrated by Vanessa Bell. Our copy has the
ownership initials of HMB dated Christmas 1927,
with subsequent ownership of Roger Senhouse, his
signature in pencil and modest bookplate.  Third
limited edition, newly designed, a good copy,
with some association value.  Kirkpatrick A3c,
one of 500 published at 3s    Senhouse’s
remarkable library was auctioned away carelessly
in recent times, but he was intimately involved
with bloomsberries all his life, and the
association we think a positive one. “However,
there was an unknown side to Strachey. As these
letters reveal, he had a sado-masochistic
relationship with the young man who became his
last lover, Roger Senhouse, later the head of
Secker & Warburg. I doubt whether anyone except
the two men involved was aware of the nature of
their liaison: indeed, even Michael Holroyd, who
interviewed Roger Senhouse several times before
the latter's death in 1970, confirms he did not
know about the mock ‘crucifixion’ they staged -
an act that even in these sexually relaxed days
still has the capacity to shock” – Paul Levy.  $900.00

Woolf (Virginia)  ON BEING ILL. [London:] The
Hogarth Press, 1930.  Original green cloth,
vellum spine, marbled endpapers, 34pp,
illustrated leaf, initial flyleaf.  Very fine in
dust jacket designed by [? Vanessa Bell
?].  First edition, numbered and signed by
Virginia Woolf in purple ink, copy #8 of 250. The
jacket, which is slightly too large for the book,
has chafed edges and one tear (no loss).  Kirkpatrick A14.  $4000.00

Terms:

1) Any book may be returned for any reason.
2) We welcome Mastercard, Visa, Amex, Personal Checks, Payment by Wire.
3) We do not charge postage.
4) Institutions may be invoiced to suit their requirements.
5) California Sales Tax charged to California addresses.

Peter B. Howard
Serendipity Books
1201 University Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94702