[Rarebooks] Steinbeck & Ricketts on sex and love, marriage.

Serendipity Books pbhoward at serendipitybooks.com
Tue Aug 28 00:14:20 EDT 2007

(1)

[ca 1942]     Autograph letter signed, ink,
1p,  8 ½" x 11, ruled yellow foolscap from a
pad.  To his literary agent Mavis McIntosh, of
McIntosh & Otis, candid.  The draft is undated,
but must have been written ca 1942, since
Steinbeck refers to the fact that Carol (his
first wife) has not replied to his offer of a
divorce settlement.  Steinbeck's personal
distress during this difficult period is apparent:

"Of Carol? I have a great deal of love for her.
Of Gwen? I have a great deal of love for her.  Of
myself? I haven't very much. I wish I had more.
Lots of things to get rid of first though and I
think I am getting rid of some of them
..Of
course where the trouble is going to come is that
neither Carol nor Gwen will be able to understand
that I can love more than one woman.  I'm pretty
darned faithfull sexually though and would only
stop if some pressure or unhappiness
in the
status quo whatever that is."   Some 215 words, unsigned.

Once crumpled.  Clearly a draft, unsent. Numerous
letters to Mavis McIntosh are included in
STEINBECK: A LIFE IN LETTERS, but none resembles
this draft, which may never have been rewritten,
and none were written to her in 1942, a time in
which Steinbeck's most personal letters were to Webster F. ["Toby"] Street.

$6000.00

(2)

"I won't go inland"

A15b   SEA OF CORTEZ.  New York: The Viking
Press, 1941. Blue cloth, illus, 598pp, map
endpapers.  First hardback edition, printing the
text in its entirety, with illustrations, some
colored. A fine copy in worn, repaired dust
jacket, priced $5.00.  The jacket has some chips.
This copy is inscribed in pencil by Ed Ricketts
to his future wife Alice Campbell:

"To Alice from Ed. October 31, 1947. For
remembering a belt that looks like a wood
carving, 'for us a measure of continuance.'"

Enclosed is the marriage certificate (#148484) of
Alice and Ed signed by a justice of the peace in
Las Vegas, with a vintage photograph of Ricketts,
(5" x 7"), black and white, with the original
negative. The book has no printed dedication.   Slipcase.

With:   Typed letter signed (in pencil "Ed"),
three full pages, November 25, 1947. To John
Steinbeck, of his relationship and the impending
break-up with his wife Toni. An extraordinary
letter, more than 1700 words. Ricketts begins in
the third person, of the two quite good people,
whose relationship has been " "
each has had his
good thing ready for the other only for it to be
reflected back unabsorbed."a tragedy of errors
when it wasn't an equal comedy."  Toni had gone
away, in a near nervous breakdown, though there
had never been any exterior intensity of emotion
revealed.  Their relationship wasn't good,
Ricketts realizes. "There were lots of bad
places, and they caused further strain. A divorce
is imminent.  But Ed had entered into a
relationship with Alice (age 22), who has cleared
out. Ed had been with Toni 7 years. Now Toni may
go east, but "I won't go inland". He knows
Steinbeck understands because he had similar
experiences.  Toni had never been able to give
Ricketts "considerable physical affection."  Of
Kay's death and funeral, of Bach and the comfort of his fugal discipline.

             This letter of 1947 might well be
compared with Steinbeck's letter (not sent) to
his agent Mavis McIntosh in 1942, when he
casually remarks that "Of course where the
trouble is going to come is that neither Carol
nor Gwen will be able to understand that I can love more than one woman."

Book, marriage certificate, photograph and typed
letter to Steinbeck:  $22,500.00

Terms:

1) Any book may be returned for any reason.
2) We welcome Mastercard, Visa, Amex, Personal Checks, Payment by Wire.
3) We do not charge postage.
4) Institutions may be invoiced to suit their requirements.
5) California Sales Tax charged to California addresses.

Peter B. Howard
Serendipity Books
1201 University Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94702