[Rarebooks] OFFER: STUDY OF 16TH AND 17TH C. GERMAN RELIGIOUS AND POLITICAL CARTOONS.

Laderman zita at speakeasy.net
Fri Feb 23 18:59:14 EST 2007

SCHEIBLE, J.[JOHANN] : DIE FLIEGENDEN BLAETTER DES XVI UND XVII
JAHRHUNDERTS. : in sogenannten Einblatt-Drucken, mit Kupferstichen
und Holzschnitten; zunchst aus dem Gebiete der politischen und
religisen Caricatur / aus den Schtzen der Ulmer Stadtbibliothek wort-
und bildgetreu herausgegeben von J. Scheible. Published :  Stuttgart
: J. Scheible, 1850. 334 p., [88] leaves of plates (part fold.) :
ill. ; 16 cm. Notes : "Mit 88 Tafeln." 46 full page and 42 folding
engraved plates. Interesting because of the emphasis on political
satire and cartoons on the Reformation. Much of the writing is in the
form of poetry. Both this and the drawings are satiric. These plates
of political and religious caricatures of the sixteenth century and
seventeenth centuries are from the collection of the Stadtsbibliothek
Ulm. In the original printed wrapper[rear wrap] the front wrap has
been replaced by a plain stout wrap.Very Good. Although this has been
here for a few years, the only copy I am aware of which has been sold
in recent years was that from the library of H. P. Kraus. That copy
has been rebound in cloth at an early date. As a collector of
cartoons and caricature for a while I found this a great sublimation
for my desire to own the impossibly rare early satires of these
centuries. Buying it with the assumption that it will help you bid
properly when one comes up is a vain idea, because they just don't
come up in any quantity, anywhere. $335.00
ZITA BOOKS / NEW YORK, N.Y. / G. LADERMAN
telephone: 212-866-4715  email:zita at speakeasy.net

Carriage billed at cost. Payment in US dollar check or bank transfer required.
Credit cards accepted for payment through paypal. The usual trade discounts
offered.  Prices here quoted take precedence over any earlier listing.