[Rarebooks] FS: GENESIS with Original Silkscreens by Jacob Lawrence

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Sun Feb 25 15:02:55 EST 2007

One of many fine African-American items on our web site.  We have
hundreds of items in the fields of literature, music, history, art, and
science, all viewable by using our powerful search engine.
http://www.erols.com/agvent

THE FIRST BOOK OF MOSES, CALLED GENESIS. THE KING JAMES VERSION
LAWRENCE, Jacob)

Limited Editions Club, New York, 1989. Fine in a suede lined linen
clamshell box with leather label. Large folio bound in full midnight
blue Japanese cotton. Number 356 of only400 numbered copies, SIGNED on
the colophon by Jacob Lawrence who has contributed eight original
silkscreens to this massive (16" x 22") and truly magnificent work, one
of the high points of the press. These silkscreens are identical, except
for not being individually signed, to thevery few portfolios of eight
prints currently selling for upwards of $50,000. According to the
publisher, anywhere from 17 to 21 screens were required to bring out the
coloring of each illustration, making a total of 144 separate stencils,
all of which were destroyed after the strictly limited number of some
400 original sets of prints had been achieved on thefine Whatman paper
specified by the Osiris Printing Studio in New York. Thetext was printed
on a heavy handmade paper from Cartiere Enrico Magnani of Pescia, Italy.
Monthly Letter laid in. A gorgeous book. The clamshell box has a small
area of discoloration on the front cover; the book is as new.  $8500.00
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $25.00.  Overseas postage billed at

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent