[Rarebooks] FS: Scarce 16th Century Emblem Book: QUADRINS HISTORIQUES DE LA BIBLE, 1558, with 300 woodcuts by Salomon

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Tue Jul 3 10:46:32 EDT 2007

One of a number of emblem books listed on our website:

[EMBLEM BOOK] [PARADIN, Claude] and [FONTAINE, Charles] QUADRINS
HISTORIQUES DE LA BIBLE bound with FIGURES DU NOUVEAU TESTAMENT
Jean de Tournes Lyons 1558. Two small octavo (4-1/8" x 6-1/8") volumes
bound together in 19th century full brown blindstamped morocco with gilt
lettering on the spine. [246]; [74] pages. First published in 1553 and
1554 respectively, the first title illustrated with 231 small emblem
woodcuts and the second title with 69 woodcuts, all attributed to
Bernard Salomon, as well as 2 designs and title borders. These woodcuts
were among the most popular Biblical illustrations of the latter half of
the 16th century. A verse in French is beneath each emblem. OCLC locates
only four copies of the first title and two of the second. Bookplate of
Mexborough on the front pastedown and a doctor's modern bookplate on the
verso of the front endpaper. One original endpaper remains, bound
between the books; the others are lacking. Text and illustrations are
complete; several pages have been trimmed at the bottom margin to delete
a manuscript name but with no loss to text or images. Old manuscript ink
notes in the margins of the first few illustrated pages but contents
otherwise clean except for an occasional smudge. Binding with mild
rubbing to spine, slightly more to the front joint which is just
developing a short split at the base. Near Fine and quite scarce.  $7500.00
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $9.00 for the first book, $5.00 each
thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania
residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express and
Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for
any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior
notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a
diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century
Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and Limited Editions Club
books.  We are celebrating our 20th year of business and are proud to be
members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and
the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as
the Manuscript Society and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club
(UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com