[Rarebooks] baseball item #12 from the Norman Kane collection (FS)

Peter B. Howard pbhoward at serendipitybooks.com
Fri Jul 13 10:23:16 EDT 2007

1928                Spencer (J. W.) BABE RUTH! BABE RUTH! (We Know What He
Can Do). Arranged by Harry L. Alford with ukulele arrangement.  Olneyville,
Rhode Island : J. W. Spencer (1928)  Sheet music, 5pp.  Fine copy.

             In the 3rd chorus:

                         "Babe Ruth! Babe Ruth! That's the guy we mean
                         Babe Ruth! Babe Ruth! He cleans the basses [sic] clean
                         High and wide the Sultan of swat
                         Gives that baseball one terrible knock."

In the 4th chorus, lines 6-7 are covered over with a re-written text, printed:

"Eighty thousand grand will make him peppy hot
A record salary of the baseball crew."

     The song is surely in tribute to Ruth's 1927 season, the greatest in
the history of baseball.  The origin of the sobriquet is obscure; we have
not yet found an earlier use of it than in this song.

Babe Ruth (14th year), 32 years old                              Barry
Bonds  (16th year), 36 years old

1927
2002

151
games
153 games
                 540 at
bats
476 at bats
                 .356 batting
average
.328 batting average
                 158
runs
129 runs
                 158 runs batted
in
137 runs batted in
                 60 home
runs
73 home runs
                 8
triples
2  triples
                 29
doubles
32 doubles
                 7 stolen bases (caught six
times)                                                       13 steals
(caught three times)
                 .486 on base
percentage
.515 on base percentage
                 .772 slugging
percentage
.863 slugging percentage
                 89 strike
outs
93 strike outs
                 137
walks
177 walks

Ruth stole 117 bases in his career and had a lifetime batting average of
.342; he walked 2062 times.   Bonds has stolen 509 bases to date; has 734
home runs and counting.  Ruth walked Bond has walked 2426 times, and
counting.

***Apparently not located by OCLC or included in the Bibliography of
Published Sheet Music and Songs in the Collections of the Music Division at
the Library of Congress.

$450.00

Peter B. Howard
Serendipity Books