[Rarebooks] FS: Superb Andy Warhol Association Copy with Original Drawing to the only person in Pittsburgh Warhol ever publicly acknowledged as an inspiration

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Mon Jul 16 15:14:21 EDT 2007

WARHOL, Andy with BOCKRIS, Victor THE PHILOSOPHY OF ANDY WARHOL (FROM A
TO B AND BACK AGAIN) with WARHOL
New York and London (1975) & (1989) First printing of the Warhol book
and reprint of the Bockris biography of Warhol. The Warhol book is
INSCRIBED to Lawrence [Vollmer] on the half title page with a small
ORIGINAL DRAWING of a soup can and SIGNED by Warhol as "Andy" in red ink
and INITIALED by Warhol in black as well. The Bockris biography is
INSCRIBED and SIGNED by Bockris in 1992 to Lawrence Vollmer "who played
such an/important role in opening/the eyes of the young Warhol,/with
sincere thanks for/your generous hospitatlity and/memories." Laid in is
a 3-page TYPED LETTER SIGNED by Bockris to Vollmer presenting this
British edition of his book and directing him to the photograph within:
"Andy at Hornes with his first boss and 'idol' Mr. Vollmer." Bockris
writes about Warhol's death, his biography, personal events, and
apologizes for not sending him a book sooner and returning the photos
Vollmer had sent him. From page 71 of Bockris's book: "In the spring of
1948, with one more year to go, Andy, then nineteen, began his art
career. He was given a job in the display department of Pittsburgh's
premier department store, Joseph Horne's, painting backdrops for
windows. He thought the store was like heaven.... Larry Vollmer [was]
his boss and the only person in Pittsburgh Andy has ever publicly
acknowledged as an inspiration to him.... 'Mr. Vollmer was an idol to me
because he came from New York and that seemed so exciting. I wasn't
really thinking about ever going there myself, though.'" Exceptional
Warhol association. Each Near Fine or better in Near Fine dustwrappers.
  $2500.00
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $15.00.  Overseas postage billed at

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent