[Rarebooks] fs: Oldmixon. British Empire in America

Back Creek Books rock at backcreekbooks.com
Wed Jun 13 12:02:05 EDT 2007

Greetings Booklovers,

We are pleased to offer:
~
(No. 9173 )  Oldmixon, John (1673-1742). THE BRITISH EMPIRE IN AMERICA,
CONTAINING THE HISTORY OF THE DISCOVERY, SETTLEMENT, PROGRESS AND STATE OF
THE BRITISH COLONIES ON THE CONTINENT AND ISLANDS OF AMERICA (IN TWO
VOLUMES).
New York: Augustus M. Kelley Publisher, 1969. Reprint, Full cloth, Octavos,
[4], xxxvi, 568 & [4], [ii], 478 pages, Fold-out maps. Fine.
      Important history of the colonies, originally published in 1708, which
was Oldmixon's first historical work. This is a quality facsimile reprint
(NOT 'print-on-demand') of the revised and corrected second edition of 1741
with its 8 fold-out maps prepared by Herman Moll. Volume I covers the
continental colonies and volume II the island colonies. Olmixon had the
great challenge of preparing this work from accounts and memoirs supplied to
him by persons with firsthand knowledge and experience--and often ongoing
interests--in the individual colonies. As he states in his Preface, "Every
Province was the best, the most advantageous, the most inviting; and if [I]
did not give that Account of it, the History would be worth nothing." See
HOWES #O61; SABIN #57157. Bound in brown leather-patterned cloth over boards
with gilt lettering and ornaments on spines, black and red title blocks on
spines, upper boards lettered and border-ruled in gilt. Volume I shows a
slight spot of soil to bottom fore corner of textblock and a spine that is
very slightly fallen in. Otherwise both volumes clean and bright with snug
bindings.    $250.00
See photo: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/bookphotos/9173.jpg

><///(*>   ><///(*>    ><///(*>    ><///(*>
Terms:
All books fully guaranteed and returnable if not as described. Normal
domestic shipping $4.00 for the first book, $1.00 each additional book or
volume. Shipping charges for other carriers or international delivery quoted
individually upon inquiry. Payment accepted by credit card (V,MC,Amex,
Discover), check, money order, or PayPal.

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards,

Rock Toews
Back Creek Books
Post Office Box 3540, Annapolis, MD 21403, U.S.A.
Tel. 410-626-1363 or toll free 877-626-1363 -  Fax. 815-425-8542
Web: http://www.backcreekbooks.com  ~  Email: admin at backcreekbooks.com
--
Military & Naval History, Americana, Nautical & Maritime, Marylandiana
 ~ New arrivals: http://www.backcreekbooks.com/index.php