[Rarebooks] The Engineering News

Edward Ripley-Duggan erd at wilsey.net
Thu Mar 1 15:20:45 EST 2007

We offer an extensive and continuous (albeit incomplete) run of the
journal "Engineering News." Our run starts as "Engineering News and
American Contract Journal," later becomes the "The Engineering News
and American Railway Journal," and later still is titled "Engineering
News. A journal of Civil, Mechanical, Mining and Electrical
Engineering." By any name, this is an extraordinary periodical.
Publication started in 1875. Our run begins with volumes 13/14 of
1885, and continues to 1909, with volumes 58/59. Internally, with the
exception of one volume that has a marginal stain (by no means a
horrid defect), these are internally quite fresh. Externally, the
volumes (24 in all, bound by the year), in half black leather, cloth
sides, vary in condition from fresh to rather worn, but all the
bindings are sturdy and serviceable. Not collated, but apparently
complete, with folding plates, diagrams, etc. More details upon request.

Long runs such as this appear distinctly uncommon, and are reasonably
desirable, as this is *the* great overview of American engineering
for the period. The information on railways alone is sufficient for a
thesis or two. Be warned, though--the set weighs several hundred pounds.

On a basis of "fast in, fast out" we offer the set at $1000 (freight extra).
                           Reply to: erd at wilsey.net
                        WILSEY RARE BOOKS, MEMBER ABAA
                             http://www.wilsey.net
                  Phone: (845) 657-7057      Fax: (845) 657-2366