[Rarebooks] FS: Signed Limited Amelia Earhart with silk flag carried by her on her historic voyage across the Atlantic

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu Mar 15 10:04:33 EDT 2007

 From our new Internet-only Catalogue which has just been posted on our
website: http://www.erols.com/agvent
It contains 57 AVIATION & SPACE items including a selection of books
from the library of leading World War I Ace Eddie Rickenbacker, as well
as books signed by Neil Armstrong, Amelia Earhart, Charles Lindbergh,
and Antoine Saint Exupery, and some interesting 19th century aviation
material.

EARHART, Amelia. 20 HRS. 40 MIN. 0UR FLIGHT IN THE FRIENDSHIP. THE
AMERICAN  GIRL, FIRST ACROSS THE ATLANTIC BY AIR, TELLS HER STORY. New
York:  G.  P.  Putnam's  Sons 1928. First  Edition.  Large  octavo  in
original  maroon  cloth-backed paper-covered boards. Illustrated  with
numerous  photographs. Copy #12 of only 150 SIGNED "Amelia M. Earhart"
by  the  famous  aviator as well as the publisher and  containing,  as
issued  by the publisher in a cellophane envelope mounted on the front
pastedown,  a  miniature silk American flag carried by Earhart in  her
flight  on the "Friendship" from Boston to Wales. Although Earhart was
not  the  pilot of this flight, with it she made history  by  becoming
the  FIRST  WOMAN  TO TRAVEL BY AIR ACROSS THE ATLANTIC. Not  only  is
this  volume  signed by this famous figure, but it contains an  actual
artifact  from  that historic flight. Earhart was lost at sea  in  her
attempt,  shortly before her fortieth birthday in 1937, to become  the
first  woman to fly around the world. After her disappearance the most
extensive  air  and  sea search in naval history to date  took  place.
After  spending $4 million and scouring 250,000 square miles of  ocean
over  a  two-week  period, the United  States  government  reluctantly
called  off the operation. Bookplate of George H. Kirkman on the verso
of  the  front  free endpaper. Neatly repaired paper splits  to  front
hinge.  Tight and clean. Close to Fine copy of a scarce and  desirable
book.                                                       $10,000.00
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent