[Rarebooks] FS: Rickenbacker's copy of MEN & MACHINES OF THE FIRST AIR WAR

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Wed Mar 21 11:51:37 EDT 2007

 From our new Internet-only Catalogue which has just been posted on our
website: http://www.erols.com/agvent
It contains 57 AVIATION & SPACE items including a selection of books
from the library of leading World War I Ace Eddie Rickenbacker, as well
as books signed by Neil Armstrong, Amelia Earhart, Charles Lindbergh,
and Antoine Saint Exupery, and some interesting 19th century aviation
material.

FUNDERBURK Thomas R. (RICKENBACKER, Eddie). THE FIGHTERS. THE MEN
AND  MACHINES OF THE FIRST AIR WAR. New York: Grosset & Dunlap (1965).
First  Edition.  Quarto (8" x 10-3/4"); illustrated  with  photographs
and  drawings.  This  copy INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author  on  the
half-title  page  to  the  leading American ace of World  War  I:  "To
Captain  Edward  V. Rickenbacker/As one of the many  who  have/admired
your career from boyhood,/this small hommage  from the author/Thomas
R.    Funderburk/1965."   Medal  of    Honor-winning   aviator   Eddie
Rickenbacker  served  as  Pershing's staff driver before  he  became a
combat  pilot.  He  first gained fame in the formative years  of  auto
racing  as  a  driver. Before owning and  operating  the  Indianapolis
Motor  Speedway,  he participated in some of the first 500-mile  races
held  there  finishing  in tenth place in  1914.  Rickenbacker  flew a
total  of 300 combat hours, reportedly more than any other U.S.  pilot
in  World  War  I,  and his 26 victories as  a  pilot  constituted  an
American  record  that  stood until World War II. After  the  war,  he
started  an  unsuccessful  automobile company, but  his  most  lasting
business  endeavor  was his lifelong leadership of Eastern  Air  Lines
which  Rickenbacker  transformed  from  a small  airline  to  a  major
international  transportation company. He is, of course, cited several
times  in the book and depicted in at least one photograph. Laid in is
a  note  from  Rickenbacker's son. Fine in a  Very  Good  dustwrapper.
                                                                $400.00
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent