[Rarebooks] FS: Superb Margaret Mitchell Letter comparing hordes of tourists to Sherman's attack on Atlanta

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu May 24 12:24:32 EDT 2007

MITCHELL,  Margaret.  TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS). Atlanta,  GA:  11
July  1938. Fine single-spaced 2-1/2-page letter of @800 words with an
18-word  holograph  postscript  on Mitchell's stationery  to  Herschel
Brickell,  a  noted book reviewer from Mississippi who served  on  the
New  York  Herald  Tribune book section and who, at the time  of  this
correspondence,  was  a  reviewer  for  the  New  York  Evening  Post.
Mitchell  begins by stating how happy she is to be back home: "One  of
the  most  welcome  sights  I ever saw was the  bright  blaze  of  the
mid-afternoon  Georgia sun.... I must be like Georgia cotton--need red
dirt  and  hot,  dry weather." She also writes  a  poignant  paragraph
about  her  husband  staying behind to comfort a friend who  had  just
lost  his  wife:  "I can't help wondering how people  manage  to  live
through  such things." She concludes with her disgust at being famous:
"Even  as  Sherman's  hordes  struck  at the  gates  of  Atlanta  in a
long-past  July,  so do the hordes of summer visitors invade  us  this
month....  Father summed it up when he remarked on how strange it  was
that  there were millions of people anxious to go where they were  not
wanted  and were not invited." Her manuscript postscript mentions  how
she  lost  her  copyright case in the Dutch court  and  is  appealing.
SIGNED  "Margaret" in ink by Mitchell. All of the letters to  Brickell
that  we have seen were signed by Mitchell either as "Margaret" or  as
"M,"  an indication of the personal relationship she had with him. Not
in Richard Harwell's MARGARET MITCHELL'S "GONE WITH THE WIND" LETTERS,
though  many  others  to Brickell are. Normal  mailing  creases.  Fine
with the original typed envelope.                             $3000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent