[Rarebooks] FS - Saga-Book of the Viking Club

GREENFIELD BOOKS mail at greenfieldbooks.com
Sat Nov 3 17:02:24 EDT 2007

*VIKING CLUB (later, the Viking Society for Northern Research), (various
editors),  */*SAGA-BOOK OF THE VIKING CLUB; */twenty-two original
individual issues, published between 1903 and 1973, each bound in
publisher's wraps, as issued; with folding maps, b&w photos and
illustrations, graphs etc. Each issue contains news of the Club,
reports, articles, reviews and various notes. Most of the articles are
original and are not available elsewhere.

The Society was founded in 1892 as the Orkney, Shetland and Northern
Society, or Viking Club, to promote interest in the Scandinavian North,
its literature and antiquities. It holds annual meetings, awards prizes
to academics who distinguish themselves in the field of "Northern"
studies, and, of course, publishes this journal.

Copies of this journal can occasionally be had, either individually, or
in very small lots, but it is unusual for such a substantial
collection, as this, to be offered.

This lot contains the following issues: vol. III (1903 and 1904), parts
II and III; vol. IV (1905 and 1906), parts I and II; vol. VI (1909 and
1910), parts I and II; vol. VII (1912), part II; vol. VIII (1913 and
1914), parts I and II;  vol. XI (1920 and 1925), parts I and II; vol. X
(1928), part I; vol. XII (1937, 1941, 1942, 1945), parts I, III, IV and
V; vol. XIII (1946, 1949-50, 1950-51, 1952-53), parts I, III, IV, V;
vol. XIV (1953-55, 1955-56), parts 1-2, 3; vol. XVIII (1970-71, 1972,
1973), parts 1-2, 3, 4.

The journals contain a fascinating and diverse range of articles, /viz:
/"Anthropological Evidence of the Relations between the Races of Britain
and Scandinavia"; "Irish Episodes in Icelandic Literature"; "The
Norsemen in Uist Folklore"; "Stone Circles and other Rude Stone
Monuments of Great Britain"; "On the Place-Name Wetwang"; "Notes on
Shipbuilding and Nautical terms of Old in the North"; "Homer and
Beowulf: A Literary Parallel"; "The Vikings in Spain", etc. etc.

Most issues are in good to very good condition, although some of the
early issues have torn spines and/or light soiling. All are intact and
complete.

Price: $350.00

Terms of sale: This price is a special price to the list, and is net in
USD. Postage and packing is included for delivery in North America;
overseas $15 for surface mail; $25 for air mail. Payment by check or
credit card. Institutions may be billed. Returnable within seven days of
receipt if not as described.

Greenfield Books Ltd.
**Rare Books sought, bought and sold**
Member: ABAC/ILAB