[Rarebooks] Book Auction, Sat. Nov. 10

Philip Bishop mosher at ptd.net
Sun Nov 4 08:07:20 EST 2007

Dear folks:

The links for this Saturday, November 10 auction are now all in place at

         www.conestogaauction.com

Phil Bishop
MOSHER BOOKS

CONESTOGA AUCTION COMPANY*
PO Box 1
Manheim, PA 17545     (717) 898-7284      www.conestogaauction.com

*Conestoga Auction will be conducting LIVE simultaneous auctions on their
 premises and on Ebay. Bids are welcome via the Post Office, but should be
mailed in a timely manner. It is requested that all other bidders not in
attendance at the auction house premises submit their bids live via Ebay.
Auction catalogs will be mailed out free upon request. Also soon to be made
available on-line at wwwconestogaauction.com
Contents of Unreserved Auction
November 10, 2007

Unreserved auction of approximately 600 lots of scarce and valuable books
and other related items, including many 17th, 18th & 19th Century
> leather-bound books on history, theology, medicine, law and more, from the
> collections of a retired physician, plus many other additions including
> books on travel & exploration such as volumes from the Pacific RR Surveys,
> The US Naval Astronomical Expedition, Redfield's SKETCH OF THE...ROUTE OF
> A GREAT RAILWAY; Children's & illustrated books to include books
> illustrated Maxfield Parrish, folios illustrated by Gustave Dore,  Howard
> Pyle's BOOK OF PIRATES, books signed by Michael Hague and Barry Moser, an
> Antique Reference Library strong on Penna. German Arts & Crafts including
> FURNITURE OF THE MAHANTONGO VALLEY, Books related to Lancaster County and
> other Pennsylvania & American history including a 2nd edition of Josiah
> Gregg's COMMERCE ON THE PRAIRIES, Proud's HISTORY OF PENNSYLVANIA, an
> early pamphlet, etc. on the Louisiana Purchase,  annual volumes published
> by the Penna. German & Folklore Societies; American military history
> including books on the American Revolution, War of 1812, Civil War and
> Spanish American War to include several volumes of the 4th Series of the
> AMERICAN ARCHIVES, a 1776 GENTLEMAN"S MAG. with a fold-out map of Phila.,
> comtemporary periodicals with accounts of War of 1812 events, a CW letter
> and a Jeff. Davis autograph; Plus Muller's 1756 treatise on Artillery &
> Fortification, Skelton & Meyrick's massive 2-vol. folio set on Arms &
> Armour; Numerous bound periodicals including PUCK & JUDGE, Leslie's
> Weekly, Gleason's Pictorial, Scientific American, Poe's Southern Literary
> Messenger, THE ALDINE art folios; 19th & 20th century British & American
> literary firsts to include a 1st Amer. Ed., of Bronte's THE PROFESSOR,
> Stowe's A KEY TO UNCLE TOM'S CABIN, ATLAS SHRUGGED in a fine jacket, O.W.
> Holmes 1st novel ELSIE VENNER, Hemingway's A FAR EWELL TO ARMS, Tennessee
> Williams STREET CAR NAMED DESIRE in the scarce jacket, plus early & 1st
> printings of  early18th & 19th century British & American literature by
> Irving, Sterne, Addison, Smollett, Cooper, Burns, Defoe and others;
> Ornithology to include STUDER'S BIRDS OF AMERICA, various large folios &
> portfolios on Decorative Arts & Architecture, 19th century American
> geological atlases; plus early reference books to include Brit. & Amer.
> Gazateer's and Geographical Grammars, 21 vols. of Dobson's 18th century
> Phila. Encyclopedia, a 1760 Johnson's Dictionary + other early
> dictionaries, numerous 18th & 19th century Medical books; Floral and other
> color plate books incl. 11 vols. of THE ADDISONIA, plus various books of
> Natural History, Science & Technology, including vols. of the American
> Philosophical Society; numerous early American imprints from Carlisle,
> Lebanon, Phila., Boston, Lancaster and other cities, and many early
> religious books on Popery, the Quakers, Jews, Presbyterians, the Anglican
> church and Christian history & Philosophy.

ALSO :

> (417 hand-colored Botanical plates) Andrews, H.[enry C.], (fl. 1799-1828),
> THE BOTANISTS REPOSITORY COMPRISING COLOUR'D ENGRAVINGS OF NEW AND RARE
> PLANTS ONLY WITH BOTANICAL DESCRIPTIONS, ETC. IN LATIN AND ENGLISH AFTER
> THE LINNAEAN SYSTEM, 4to., 6 vols. bound in 3, 1799-18__(?)[The complete
> work was published in 10 vols. between 1799 & 1813(?)]. Vol. I begins with
> an engraved title page followed by a preface dated Oct., 1799, with errata
> on the verso. Each of the other 5 volumes begins with an engraved title
> page, followed by 72 well executed hand-colored botanical plates, each
> with a facing page of descriptive text, followed in turn by an index to
> the volume, on the verso of which can be found the errata. In addition,
> Vol. V is followed by an alphabetical index to the first 5 volumes. A
> total of 15 plates are lacking from the 432 numbered plates found in the
> first 6 vols. They include #'s 17, 20, 25, 64, 91, 103, 110, 133, 301,
> 356, 379, 389, 390, 391 & ; ; 397. The first 10 or so plates of  Vol. I
> are slightly rippled along the bottom margin, and even fewer of them have
> the slightest hint of dampstaining to them. Each plate has an accompanying
> tissue-guard, which has taken the brunt of any foxing and/or offsetting
> that occurs within the 6 vols. Only the slightest occassional soiling
> occurs to any of the plates within, and the only noticeable defect to any
> plates is a short tear along the fold of one of the several folding color
> plates. Bound by W. Searle, Golden Square(Soho, London) in full period
> leather, with gilt-paneled boards with heavy gilt and blind rolled borders
> and with a double gilt-ruled diamond design to the center of each panel.
> Gilt-titled, compartmented spines with thick gilt and blind-stamped raised
> bands, all edges are marbled, and the turn-ins have gilt-stamped corners.
> All 3 spines have a piece missing and one is detached, as are all but 2
> boards, which are hanging by cords.

 CONESTOGA AUCTION COMPANY
 PO Box 1
 Manheim, PA 17545     (717) 898-7284
 www.conestogaauction.com

> Conestoga Auction will be conducting LIVE simultaneous auctions on their
> premises and on Ebay. Bids are welcome via the Post Office, but should be
> mailed in a timely manner. It is requested that all other bidders not in
> attendance at the auction house premises submit their bids live via Ebay.
>
> Auction catalogs will be mailed out free upon request.
Philip R. Bishop
MOSHER BOOKS    (member ABAA & ILAB, books listed on ABE)
P. O. Box 542
Ephrata, PA  17522-0542  U.S.A.