[Rarebooks] FS: Ince & Mayhew: UNIVERSAL SYSTEM OF HOUSEHOLD FURNITURE, 1762, with engravings

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Fri Nov 9 13:48:14 EST 2007

One of about 70 or so items that will be in our new Fall catalogue for
the Boston Book Fair to be posted on our web site early next week.  Also
in the catalogue will be fine Signed Presidential and Literary items,
Early Printed Books, and our usual selection of the unusual.  We will be
bringing many of them to the book fair.  Please stop by Booth 208 to see
us.

1.  INCE,  (William) and MAYHEW, (Jonathan). THE UNIVERSAL  SYSTEM  OF
HOUSEHOLD  FURNITURE.... London: [1762]. First Edition. CONSISTING  OF
ABOVE  300  DESIGNS  IN  THE  MOST  ELEGANT  TASTE,  BOTH  USEFUL  AND
ORNAMENTAL,  FINELY  ENGRAVED,  IN WHICH THE NATURE  OF  ORNAMENT  AND
PERSPECTIVE  IS ACCURATELY EXEMPLIFIED.... Large Folio (11-1/2" x 18")
in  contemporary polished mottled calf with gilt dentelles, gilt-ruled
borders,  and  gilt-lettered morocco spine labels.  Recently  rebacked
retaining  the  original gilt-decorated spine; [3] leaves, iii-iv,  11
pages,  95  leaves  of  plates. Includes an added  French  title  page
printed  in  sepia. The plates, which contain over 300  designs,  were
engraved  by  Matthias Darly who also engraved most of the plates  for
the  better-known  work  THE  GENTLEMAN  AND  CABINETMAKER'S  DIRECTOR
(1754)  by  Thomas Chippendale, the first pattern book to  be  devoted
entirely    to  furniture  and  the   first  to  be   published   by a
cabinetmaker.  Ince  is considered a close rival of Chippendale's  and
is  ranked  among the best cabinet-makers of the period. This book  is
actually  much  scarcer  than  Chippendale's.  Although  there  is  no
indication  of such in the book, this copy was purchased as lot 190 in
Parke-Bernet's  Sale #405 on 11 November 1942 for $320. Lot 191  was a
copy  of Chippendale's book in similar condition which sold for  $145.
This  is  the  first time this copy has been offered  for  sale  since
1942.  A magnificent copy of a very scarce and important title.  Faint
crease to a few plates, occasional light soiling. Near Fine $25,000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $25.00.  Overseas postage billed at

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent