[Rarebooks] FS: James Wright's first book Inscribed to his wife with an original poem

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu Nov 29 09:51:21 EST 2007

 From our list of 72 items in our new Fall catalogue now posted on our
web site: http://www.erols.com/agvent.  Also in the catalogue are fine
Signed Presidential and Literary items, Early Printed Books, and our
usual selection of the unusual.

  WRIGHT, James.   THE GREEN WALL.    New Haven:  Yale University Press
1957.  First Edition.  Poet's very scarce first book, part of the Yale
Series  of  Younger Poets, with an introduction by W. H.  Auden.  This
copy  belonged  to Wright's wife, Liberty, with her SIGNATURE  at  the
top  of the front free endpaper and below that a SIGNED INSCRIPTION by
the  poet quoting two lines from a poem in the book, "Eleutheria," and
adding   a  bittersweet,  revealing   commentary:  "for  Lib,/and  the
ground's  deliberate/riches,  the fallen pears, the/bewildered  apples
blown  to/mounds  of  shade, and mainly/for the  poison  ivy,  which I
kept/out   of  the  poem,  not   because/it  didn't  scan  or   rhyme,
but/because  it  was  the sweet/and secret root  from  which/the  poem
came./Love and grief,/Jim."  Liberty Kardules was Wright's high school
sweetheart and the mother of his sons Franz and Marshall.  Wright left
Liberty  two years after publication of this book and divorced her  in
1962.  Franz Wright is now an accomplished poet. He and his father are
the  only  parent/child pair to have won a Pulitzer Prize in the  same
category.  Dustwrapper  worn but complete but for small chips  at  the
spine tips and corners.  Near Fine in a Good dustwrapper.  Exceptional
Association Copy.                                             $7500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $9.00 for the first book, $5.00 each
thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania
residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express and
Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for
any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior
notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a
diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century
Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and Limited Editions Club
books.  We are celebrating our 20th year of business and are proud to be
members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and
the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as
the Manuscript Society and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club
(UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com