[Rarebooks] FS: Archive of early Letters by Sherwood Anderson to critic Llewellyn Jones

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Tue Oct 9 12:41:04 EDT 2007

 From our latest Internet Catalogue which contains a truly amazing array
of TWENTIETH CENTURY LITERARY MANUSCRIPTS, LETTERS, AND PHOTOGRAPHS, a
total of 90 items, many quite scarce and remarkable as well as revealing
of the creative process and personal lives of the subjects.  It includes
a number of archives, some rather substantial, including Sherwood
Anderson, W. H. Auden (SOLD), Robert Lowell, Norman Mailer (SOLD), John
Masefield (SOLD), John O'Hara, Clifford Odets, Maxwell Perkins, E. H.
Shepard, and Philip Whalen, among others.  We also have similar material
from previous catalogues that can be found with our search engine on our
web site:
http://www.erols.com/agvent

ANDERSON,  Sherwood. ARCHIVE consisting of 2 TYPED LETTERS  SIGNED
(TLSs)  and  6 AUTOGRAPHED LETTERS SIGNED (ALSs) to  critic  Llewellyn
Jones.  1916-1924.  A  group of early letters, all but one  SIGNED  in
full  and  including  five envelopes, dating from 1916  to  1924  with
three  undated,  all to Llewellyn Jones, then literary editor  of  the
Chicago  Evening Post. The earliest letter, dated 27 July 1916, thanks
Jones  for  letting "Heck" [Ben Hecht] write a review of  an  Anderson
book,  likely  WINDY  MACPHERSON'S  SON,  his  first.  Another  letter
includes  a  cartoon cut from a newspaper with  Anderson's  suggestion
that Jones might have intended it to illustrate his article. In a two-
page  holograph  letter about his book MANY MARRIAGES, Anderson  notes
how  Jones "did perfectly catch the spirit in which it was done." In a
letter  postmarked 14 December 1924, Anderson thanks Jones for a "very
lovely  criticism  of my book.... More and more I [?] to think of  you
as  one  of  the solid writers of criticism in this  country."  In  an
undated  typed letter, Anderson comments on a visit from Carl Sandburg
and  the  poet's reaction to where Anderson lived. Good to  Near  Fine
                                                               $6000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $9.00 for the first book, $5.00 each
thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania
residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express and
Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for
any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior
notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a
diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century
Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and Limited Editions Club
books.  We are celebrating our 20th year of business and are proud to be
members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and
the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as
the Manuscript Society and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club
(UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com