[Rarebooks] A wonderful example of vellum printing

Edward Ripley-Duggan erd at wilsey.net
Tue Oct 16 17:46:34 EDT 2007

We offer the following.

(SHAKESPEARE HEAD PRESS). Bede, the Venerable Saint. [Thomas
Stapleton--translator]. The history of the church of Englande. Oxford
: Printed by the Shakespeare Head Press for Basil Blackwell, Broad
Street, Oxford, 1930. One of ten copies on pure vellum (with 475
copies on paper, in addition). 30 cm., oak boards from beams at
Brasenose College, pigskin spine. xx, 479 pp. , the map at p. 452.
Printed throughout in red and black. As is often the case with this
version of the book, the joints show some separation, though the book
is solid. Housed in a custom clamshell case.

A superb example of vellum printing, in the best Shakespeare Head
Press manner. Newdigate's attention to detail was, as always,
impeccable. This is a book on a par with the Froissart, Spenser, and Chaucer.

$6000.00

If interested, please e-mail (if we don't respond, please call, as we
have had several orders disappear into the aether over the past year).

845 657 7057

Wilsey Rare Books
                           Reply to: erd at wilsey.net
                        WILSEY RARE BOOKS, MEMBER ABAA
                             http://www.wilsey.net
                  Phone: (845) 657-7057      Fax: (845) 657-2366