[Rarebooks] FS: Jimi Hendrix Portfolio with signed Photographs by Nona Hatay, 1/100

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Tue Apr 8 13:15:46 EDT 2008

 From our latest internet-only catalogue: Spring 2008 containing 77 fine
pieces and now posted on our website: http://www.erols.com/agvent

HATAY,  Nona  [HENDRIX,  Jimi]. THE HENDRIX  PORTFOLIO.  n.p.:  Studio
Hatay  [1978].  First  Edition.  Ten  Original  Photographs  (8-3/4" x
12-3/4")  by Nona Hatay, nine of which are SIGNED by the  photographer
in  gold ink and all with identifying ink notations on the verso, with
accompanying  text of Hendrix's lyrics, all housed in a morocco-backed
marbled   paper  clamshell  case.   Introduction  by  guitarist   John
McLaughlin  and  calligraphy by Joan Saalfield. The  photographs  were
all  taken  at a Madison Square Garden concert on 18 May 1969, one  of
the  great musical performances of Hendrix's amazing and brief career.
Dissatisfied  with  the static quality of the still  photographs,  she
expanded  the concert pictures by combining them with other  negatives
from  her  collection  in  impressionistic visual  attempt  to  convey
Hendrix's  musical  vibrancy. These experimental photographs  are  the
result.  The  portfolio  was  limited to 100 numbered  copies  and  30
artist's  proofs.  This copy appears to be from the latter  and  lacks
any  limitation  leaf as well as the cassette of Hendrix's music  that
came  packaged  within the portfolio case. A little musty.  Near  Fine
                                                               $2500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $15.00.  Overseas postage billed at

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent