[Rarebooks] FS: Inscribed SISTER CARRIE with wonderful association

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu Apr 10 09:03:00 EDT 2008

 From our latest internet-only catalogue: Spring 2008 containing 77 fine
pieces and now posted on our website: http://www.erols.com/agvent

DREISER,  Theodore.  SISTER  CARRIE. New York:  Boni  &  Liveright
(1925).  Reprint.  A  scarce book in its true First Edition  of  1900,
this  is  a fairly early copy of a book rarely found signed let  alone
with  such  a superb presentation. This copy INSCRIBED and  SIGNED  by
the  author  on  the front endpaper: "For/George W.  Wilder/-The  book
that/introduced    me    -    but/twenty   years   after/from/Theodore
Dreiser/N.Y.    April  -  1926."   Wilder,  president   of   Butterick
Publications,  met  Dreiser  in  June 1907, and on the  basis  of  his
growing  reputation for SISTER CARRIE, hired him as editor-in-chief of
his  magazine THE DELINEATOR. Dreiser's statement of purpose published
in  the  September  issue  of the  magazine  centered  around  woman's
mastery  of  her  own destiny, and he dedicated  the  publication  "to
strengthening  her in her moral fight for righteousness in the world."
Many  of  the  magazine's readers were mothers, and one of  the  first
series  of  articles  that Dreiser commissioned was on  the  care  and
feeding  of  infants  by Dr. Leonard K. Hirschberg,  articles  largely
written  by  H.  L.  Mencken.   Dreiser's  relationship  with  Mencken
eventually  became one of the most interesting literary  relationships
of  the  twentieth  century.  A wonderful  opportunity  to  obtain  an
outstanding  assocation  copy  of one of the  groundbreaking  literary
works  of the twentieth century. Area of discoloration to the cloth at
the  upper  right  front  corner; spine mildly sunned.  Very  Good  or
better with a fine association.                               $5000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $9.00 for the first book, $5.00 each
thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania
residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express and
Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for
any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior
notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a
diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century
Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and Limited Editions Club
books.  We are celebrating our 20th year of business and are proud to be
members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and
the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as
the Manuscript Society and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club
(UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com