[Rarebooks] FS: DE ZEDEN DER WILDEN VAN AMERIKA, 1731 folio with map, frontispiece, and 41 plates, much on Native Americans

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Fri Aug 15 12:35:29 EDT 2008

LAFITAU,  Joseph-Francois.  DE ZEDEN DER WILDEN VAN  AMERIKA.  The
Hague:  Gerard  Vander Poel 1731. First Edition. Two  folio  (7-3/4" x
12")  volumes  bound in one in contemporary full Dutch vellum,  covers
tooled  in blind with large central blocked arabesque, spine in  eight
compartments  with  raised  bands,  early manuscript  titling  to  the
second  compartment. Titles in red and black with engraved  vignettes.
Illustrated  with  an  engraved frontispiece, a map,  and  41  plates.
First  Dutch Edition of a key work on Native American peoples. Lafitau
was  assigned as a Jesuit missionary to Canada from 1711-1718 and  was
based   for  much  of  that  period   among  the  Iroquois  at   Sault
Saint-Louis.  His work, written in an attempt to prove that the native
American  peoples were descended from Tartar stock, provides a  wealth
of   information  on  the  customs,   religious  beliefs,  and  social
organization of the Iroquois and the other northern tribes. Field 851:
"a  grand  cyclopaedia  of  Indian history, and the  customs  at  that
date";  Howes L22; JCB (I), page 472; Lande S1194: "This is one of the
most  beautiful  editions of Lafitau's works"; Sabin 38598;  TPL  159.
Some  light  toning  throughout; upper joint split, covers  bowed  and
soiled. Very Good                                             $4500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $25.00.  Overseas postage billed at

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent