[Rarebooks] FS: Massive 1928 History of Garden Art

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Tue Dec 2 08:20:09 EST 2008

"A History of Garden Art"  By Marie Luise Gothein.

Published in London & Toronto by J.M. Dent & Sons Limited: 1928. 2nd edition.

The first English translation of this remarkable work. Starting with the
gardens of ancient Egypt, Greece, Rome and Byzantium, the book then moves
to the Middle Ages, and then to the Renaissance era in Italy, Spain,
Portugal, France, England, Germany and the Netherlands. Several chapters
are devoted to Louis XIV and the 18th century French garden style, first
in France, and then in other countries. We then whisk away to China and
Japan, before returning to the English landscape garden, 19th century
garden styles, and “modern” English gardens. A sweeping yet meticulous
study, as the fact that it consumes almost a thousand pages might suggest.
Wright says- "The 'History of Garden Art' is a work of supreme ability...
portraying as it does the means and methods by which in all ages and in
all climes garden-lovers have sought beauty." First published in English
in 1913. Translated by Mrs. Archer-Hind, and edited by Walter P. Wright.

Hardcover. 2 volumes. 8"x11", 459 + 486 pages, filled with black & white
illustrations; a little light wear, a spot of soil here and there; very
short closed tear on the contents page on the first volume. Else a very
nice, bright, clean, tight set.  $400.00

Some Pictures =>

<http://www.joslinhall.com/images30/th-30528-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images30/th-30528-title1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images30/th-30528-title2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images30/th-30528-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images30/th-30528-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images30/th-30528-page3.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images30/th-30528-page4.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images30/th-30528-page5.jpg>

 - -

Our website-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our Latest Catalogs-

DECEMBER, 2008 -Recent Acquisitions
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_316.htm>

FOLK ARTS & AMERICANA
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_302.htm>

BOOKS ON GLASS
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_299.htm>

BOOKS ON CERAMICS
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_295.htm>

BOOKS ON FURNITURE
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_306.htm>

BOOKS ON SILVER
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_308.htm>

FIRE AND ICE
 -lighting, fireplaces & ice
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_282.htm>

A GRAVE AFFAIR
 -gravestones, epitaphs & mourning
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_288.htm>

 ~ ~ ~

 SPEAKING OF BOOKS
    -Our free email News List

 FOGGYGATES
    - our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.