[Rarebooks] FS: Black Man in the White House

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Mon Dec 8 10:47:51 EST 2008

One of 150 interesting items included in our HOLIDAY 2008 Catalogue now
posted on our web site.  Included are beautifully bound classics, signed
books, fine press titles, poetry, illustrated books, and the unusual.

MORROW, E. Frederic. [EISENHOWER, Dwight; NIXON, Richard; JOHNSON,
Lyndon;  KENNEDY,  Robert;  ROCKEFELLER,  Nelson]. BLACK  MAN  IN  THE
WHITE  HOUSE  with  Letters  to the  Author  from  Eisenhower,  Nixon,
Johnson,  Kennedy,  Rockefeller, and Lindsay.

New York:  Coward-McCann (1963).  First  Edition.
Superb archive of material  related  to  the first  African American to
serve as a policy-making aide in the  White House.   Morrow  served  as
  Officer   for  Special  Projects  in  the Eisenhower  administration
from 1955-1961. Includes a Review Copy  of Morrow's  book BLACK MAN IN
THE WHITE HOUSE which details his  actions and  thoughts  while serving
during the turbulent birth of  the  Civil Rights  Movement  as well as a
copy of the official WHITE HOUSE  STAFF BOOK  1953-61  (copy #68 of a
small unstated limited  edition),  and a group of letters: one TYPED
LETTER SIGNED (TLS) from Mamie Eisenhower; five  TLSs  from  Dwight
Eisenhower on White House  stationery,  three SIGNED  with  initials,
and two post-Presidential TLSs; two TLSs  from Robert Kennedy, one
framed and the other a possible autopen signature; two  TLSs from
Richard Nixon, one dated August 1968 and stating  "This year  we  are
going to win" and the other on White  House  stationery SIGNED  with
initials; and two fine framed TLSs from Lyndon Johnson on White  House
stationery,  each with references to  the  Civil  Rights movement:    24
   March  1965  (three   days  after   the   Montgomery march)--"Your
own service here in this House meant much to the  cause for  which we
work now ... and I assure you our efforts will  continue without
ceasing,  until justice prevails"--and 11 June 1965--"At  the core of
the American creed is the sense of fairness and a passion for justice."
  There are also  letters  from  Rose  Mary  Woods,  Nelson Rockefeller,
  and  John  Lindsay.  Wonderful  archive.  Book  in  Good condition;
letters Near Fine.                                 $7500.00

See the AP article today in the New York Times and other papers: "Blacks
and the White House: Slavery and Service": "Not only did blacks work in
the White House, they also started working at the White House. E.
Frederick Morrow was the first African-American appointed a White House
aide by Eisenhower in 1955."
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $9.00 for the first book, $5.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent