[Rarebooks] FS: MacKenzie's TRAVELS IN ICELAND, 1811, with maps and plates, some hand-colored

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu Jan 24 10:00:18 EST 2008

 From our new Internet-only Catalogue--MOUNTAINS & MOUNTAINEERING--now
posted on our website: http://www.erols.com/agvent

It includes 75 select volumes, including a number of nineteenth century
illustrated books, and consists primarily of newly catalogued items.  We
also have a list of "Bargain" titles in the same subject area consisting
of 50 titles priced at $25 each with discounts on quantitites.  These
are NOT listed on our website.  If interested, let us know and we will
email the Bargain List to you.

  MacKENZIE,  Sir George Steuart. TRAVELS IN THE ISLAND OF  ICELAND
DURING  THE SUMMER OF THE YEAR MDCCCX. Edinburgh: Archibald  Constable
&  Co. 1811. First Edition. Quarto (8-1/2" x 11") in modern half  calf
and   marbled  boards;  xvii,  491,   [1]  pages.  Illustrated  with a
facsimile  letter,  text  engravings,  two  maps  (one  folding),  and
fifteen  plates  including  a  folding view  of  Reikiavik  and  eight
hand-colored   plates,  mostly  views.   Mackenzie,  a   distinguished
mineralogist,  traveled  with Drs. Henry Holland and  Richard  Bright.
Chapters  include  a  narrative of the voyage and travels as  well  as
those  on mineralogy, rural economy and commerce, zoology and  botany,
climate,  literature,  diseases,  government and laws,  and  religion.
Light foxing to some plates, mostly marginal. Near Fine       $1500.00
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $12.00 for the first book, $5.00 each
thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania
residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express and
Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for
any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior
notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a
diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century
Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and Limited Editions Club
books.  We are celebrating our 20th year of business and are proud to be
members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and
the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as
the Manuscript Society and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club
(UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com