[Rarebooks] FS: Fine Willa Cather Letter on DEATH COMES FOR THE ARCHBISHOP

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Mon Jan 28 10:29:58 EST 2008

CATHER, Willa AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) REGARDING DEATH COMES FOR
THE ARCHBISHOP
Jaffrey [NH] Superb one-page letter on Cather's monogrammed printed
stationery dated 15 October [1926] and SIGNED by Cather at the
conclusion. Addressed to Dr. [Henry Goddard] Leach, editor of THE FORUM,
regarding the first installment of her best-known work, DEATH COMES FOR
THE ARCHBISHOP, which was serialized in the magazine from January
through June 1927. In full: "I'm so glad you like the first installment
-- it cheers one a lot to have an editor feel really pleased. The Virgin
of Guadaloupe begins the second installment -- it's well to sound that
legendary note more than once, I think. Besides, that legend will set
the stage for the second number as the Prologue does for the first. I'll
send you the second, by the way, when I return to New York the first
week in November. Cordially yours, Willa Cather." Cather first visited
the small New Hampshire resort town of Jaffrey in 1917 for a three-week
vacation but stayed for two months and worked on MY ANTONIA in a snug
dormer room on the third floor of the Shattuck Inn. She would return
regularly to Jaffrey in the years that followed, always staying in the
same room, and eventually was buried in the town. A rare example of
Cather writing to an editor about the early stages of publication of her
most important book. Usual creases. Near Fine         $7000.00
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $9.00 for the first book, $5.00 each
thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania
residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express and
Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for
any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior
notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a
diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century
Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and Limited Editions Club
books.  We are celebrating our 20th year of business and are proud to be
members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and
the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as
the Manuscript Society and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club
(UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com