[Rarebooks] FS - William Austin ltd. ed.

GREENFIELD BOOKS mail at greenfieldbooks.com
Sat Jul 12 11:34:40 EDT 2008

*RIDLER, Anne / Edited and with an Introduction by. /THE POEMS OF
WILLIAM AUSTIN./ *Near fine condition in lightly scuffed matching
slipcase. The Perpetua Press, Oxford, UK. 1983. 1st edition, 4to, pp.
xv, 31.

William Austin (1587-1634), a Bencher of Lincoln's Inn, and a
contemporary of Donne and Herbert, did not publish any of his poetry
during his lifetime, and is known - if at all - to present-day readers
only by one carol ("Chauntecleere") and a meditative poem ascribed until
recently to Thomas Traherne. His few poems, now rescued from neglect,
show him to have been a poet of considerable charm, viz:

"Though we are born clutch-fisted, when we die
We spread our palms, and let the world slip by".

These poems circulated in manuscript during Austin's lifetime, and were
admired by his contemporaries. The nine poems from this book have been
compared with the manuscript copies and are given here in the original
spelling.

 From the colophon: "150 copies of this book, the poems hand-set in 18pt
Bembo, have been printed on Old Mill wove from the Cartiera Fedrigoni,
Verona, by Vivian Ridler at the Perpetua Press, 14 Stanley Road,
Oxford". This is copy no. 37 and is signed by both Anne Ridler and
Vivian Ridler.

A scarce title.

$250.00.

Terms of sale - The price is US funds. Payment by check or credit card.
Postage and packing charge is $8.50. Returnable within seven days of
receipt if not as described.

Greenfield Books Ltd.
Rare books sought, bought and sold
Member: ABAC/ILAB