[Rarebooks] FS: Handsome set of the WORKS OF SAMUEL JOHNSON, 1796, in 12 volumes

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Tue Jul 29 11:04:21 EDT 2008

JOHNSON,  Samuel. THE WORKS OF SAMUEL JOHNSON, LL.D. TO  WHICH  IS
PREFIXED  AN ESSAY ON HIS LIFE AND GENIUS BY ARTHUR MURPHY. London: T.
Longman,   et  al.  1796.  New   Edition.  Twelve  octavo  volumes  in
contemporary  dark  calf gilt recently rebacked in lighter  calf  with
red  and  black  morocco spine labels;  new  endpapers.  Essentially a
reissue  of  the  1792 edition with the same  arrangement  and  errors
found  there.  Illustrated with a frontispiece portrait of Johnson  in
the  first volume. The final volume contains an index. All half titles
lacking  except  for  the seventh volume. Some wear to  corners;  mild
scattered  foxing  to  some volumes. Attractive, Near Fine  set,  very
handsome on the shelf.                                        $2000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $25.00.  Overseas postage billed at

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent