[Rarebooks] FOR SALE: CONFEDERATE SHEET MUSIC

Norman Kane nkane at kanebooks.com
Thu Jun 12 18:26:05 EDT 2008

"SEE AT YOUR FEET A SUPPLIANT ONE." AS SUNG BY MISS ELLA WREN, IN BALFE"S GRAND OPERA OF THE BOHEMIAN GIRL.  Richmond, Va. / Lithographed and Published by / Geo. Dunn & Compy /  Columbia, S.C.: Julian A. Selby, no date, [1863 ?].  Parrish 7434. Sheet music, 3 pages.  Caption-title. Light wear, some spots on blank p. [4] with modest bleed-through, small corner chip.   Words and music. Miss Wren was also  mentioned in a number of other pieces of sheet music published in the Confederacy. There is the following entry in "A Confederate Journal" edited by Geo. E. Moore: "Richmond, Va., Nov. 29th, 1861 From the above date up to the 18th of December inclusive I spent in Richmond attending the convention until its adjournment, and then in the capacity, so common in Richmond, of loafer. During our stay I spent the day reading newspapers, attending the Gen. Assembly, and the Provisional Congress of the Confederate States. Strolling over the city at night I occasionally strolled into the theater and tried to enjoy the poor performances or to see the fair face of Miss Ella Wren an actress."   $150.00

"GOOD BYE SWEETHEART, GOOD BYE." FAVORITE BALLAD, WITH PIANO-FORTE ACCOMPANIMENT.  Richmond, Va. / Lithographed and Published by / Geo. Dunn & Compy / Columbia, S. C., Julian A. Selby. Confederate Copyright dated 1863. Parrish 7084. Sheet music,   3 pages, decorated title page.  Words and music. Light foxing.  Inscribed in the upper corner:    "C. H. Bell from R. Anderson.  (For what it may be worth, there was a Richard H. Anderson, who was in command of Charleston Harbor after the fall of Ft. Sumter, who had a leading and distinguished career as a Confederate officer, rising to the rank of Brevet Lieutenant General.)  $150.00

(Trade Discounts Available)

THE AMERICANIST (ABAA),
113 Creeks Edge, Chapel Hill, NC USA 27516-8962
Telephone: 919-967-9287 email: nkane at kanebooks.com.
Proprietor: Norman Kane (50 years as an antiquarian bookseller.)