[Rarebooks] FS - Indianapolisiana and Indianaana

Michael Watson archetype at 20ants.com
Mon Jun 30 21:52:16 EDT 2008

Offered today. Terms below.

FS - Indianapolisiana and Indianaana

Jacob Piatt Dunn
Greater Indianapolis: The History, the Homes, the Industries, the
Institutions, and the People
Full set - Vol I and II
1910, Chicago, The Lewis Publishing Co. Hardcover, Large 8vo

Two volumes of the popular history of Indianapolis from foundation
through 1910. Author was the Secretary of the Indiana Historical
Society and delivers great detail about the movers and shakers of the
times, the status of business and industry, and what we now call the
public history of the city. Tissue-covered plates of the major
personalities. Three-quarter leather with heavy, pebbled texture.
Boards in leather with finer, grained texture. Text block has gilt
head edge, marbled fore and tail edges. Title in gilt to spine. Vol I
contains the Table of contents immediately followed by the Index.
Numbered consecutively; Vol I ends at page 641, Vol II ends at page 1257.

Rubbed at all edges, corners, spine ends. Wear and chipping to spine
tails, wear to spine heads, Vol I lower third of front joint split
but the rest is sound. Creases to rear endpaper. Vol II lower third
of front and back joints split, rest of front joint starting, but all
held quite firmly by heavy hinges which are perfect. Front endpaper
has an old repair to a hole, with textured paper taped on both sides
of the leaf.

With the ownership blind stamp of Jack McKim Vorhies, noted
numismatic author of books about obsolete bank notes.

Both volumes very clean: externally overall about VG-, internally
overall closer to NF. Tremendously detailed compared to other
Indianapolis histories. Significant and scarce.  $450.00 USD for the pair.

http://www.20ants.com/auc/indpls1.jpg
http://www.20ants.com/auc/indpls2.jpg
http://www.20ants.com/auc/indpls3.jpg

John D. Barnhart and Donald F. Carmony
Indiana From Frontier to Commonwealth:
Full set - Vol. I, II, III, and VI
1954, New York, Lewis Historical Publishing Company Inc., 1st Edition, 4to

Vol I, 421pp.
Scuffing to covers, nick to tail corner of spine, slight ding to ctr. of spine
Vol II, 621pp
Slight bit of dampstain to tail of ft cover, spotting to rear
endpapers, paper clip stain to 3 leaves
Vol III, 310pp
Chip to one leaf, short wrinkle to spine
Vol IV, 738pp
Few tiny corner creases, dampstain to upper corner of last 5 leaves

Vol I and II cover the public history of Indiana from its settlement
through 1954. Liberally illustrated with b&w photos. Vol II has index
of both Vol I and II. Vol III and IV cover biographical information
of prominent Indiana persons and families. Again, liberally
illustrated with b&w plates which are portrait photos of prominent
Hoosiers. Some plates tissue-protected. Vol IV has index of both Vol
III and IV.

Heavy, library-style bindings. No DJs, as-issued. Small ownership
stickers removed from endpapers of all volumes. For each volume:
corners and spine ends are not bumped or worn.

Entire set is tight, very clean, and VG+ overall. Invaluable for the
historian or genealogical researcher, much background on business
history and the personalities involved. Scarce as a complete set of
1sts, especially in this condition. $200.00 USD

http://www.20ants.com/auc/indiana1.jpg
http://www.20ants.com/auc/indiana2.jpg

   Prices are net USD, payment by PayPal to archetype at 20ants.com,
   or international money order/check with order. Indiana pays 7% tax.
   Institutions invoiced. Books returnable in 10 days: contact us first.
   Domestic S&H: $3.50 1st book, $1.00 per additional book by USPS
   at Media rate. International, Priority Mail, or other carrier by quotation.

  Michael Watson, bookman                           Indianapolis IN USA
  archetype at 20ants.com       www.20ants.com    (317)514-3829
  Fine press, limiteds & unusual non-fiction. Appraisal & cataloging
  Traditional courtesies to the trade. Always seeking better books.
  Member IOBA: Independent Online Booksellers Association
  http://www.ioba.org
  Offering a safe, secure bookbuying experience at
  http://www.iobabooks.com/browse_books.php?id=47132