[Rarebooks] FS: OLD CHINATOWN, Inscribed by photographer Arnold Genthe to the only person born in the White House

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Tue Nov 4 11:53:30 EST 2008

GENTHE, Arnold. OLD CHINATOWN Inscribed to the only person born in
the  White  House.  New  York: Mitchell  Kennerley  1913.  The  Second
Edition,  enlarged  from the original of 1908 with 91  higher  quality
gravure  plates.  Black cloth decorated in gilt and red. Text by  Will
Irwin.  INSCRIBED and SIGNED by Genthe on the front endpaper to Esther
Cleveland,  one of Grover Cleveland's five children and the only child
to    date  to  be  born  in   the  White  House:   "For/Miss   Esther
Cleveland/--So  that she may know/what the real Chinatown/looked like,
when  she/sees  the new one--/with best wishes from/Arnold  Genthe/New
York/February  1915."  Miss Cleveland would have been 21 or 22 at  the
time  of this inscription. She would in a few years depart for England
where  she did volunteer work during World War I and where she met and
married  her  husband, settling there until 1971 when she returned  to
the  United  State  and remained there until her death in  1980.  Mild
spotting  of  cloth  on  spine and rear cover.  Near  Fine,  lacking a
dustwrapper, with a remarkable association.                   $2000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $9.00 for the first book, $5.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent