[Rarebooks] Presidents from the Past

Pia Oliver pia at piasworld.com
Thu Nov 6 17:05:32 EST 2008

If you no longer wish to receive our emails, you
may
<http://www.RandallHouseRareBooks.com/elist/email.html>unsubscribe
here
If you have trouble seeing this html email,
<http://www.RandallHouseRareBooks.com/lists/nordhoffhall.html>
click here

Presidents from the Past
<http://www.RandallHouseRareBooks.com>

BERRY, Wendell and SHAHN, Ben. November Twenty
Six Nineteen Hundred Sixty Three. New York:
George Braziller, 1963. Lettered and illustrated
by Ben Shahn. Oblong octavo, original white cloth
lettered in black, brown endpapers, in black
cloth publisher's box with white paper label
(front edges lightly faded). Spine a little
browned. Fine. Limited edition, signed by the
author and the artist. Printed at the Meriden
Gravure Company on Italian hand made Fabriano
paper. The poem examines the events of the
assassination of President John F. Kennedy.
$200.00 #15563

DAVIS, Jefferson. Autograph Letter signed, to
General G. T. Beauregard. Richmond, Va: September
20, 1861. 1 p. Approximately 8-1/8" x 5", one
sheet, once folded in four. Irregular browning.
The letter begins "My dear Genl. Permit me to
present to your acquaintance my Nephew Dr. Il D.
Smith of La. who visits the armory of the Potomac
to see some friends to look after the sick from
his section. Being like yourself a Creole of La.
ther will be that connecting link between you
...". $12,500.00 #5596

HARRISON, Benjamin. Autograph Letter signed, to
George W. Childs. "Executive Mansion" letterhead:
September, 30, 1889. 4 pp. (two pages blank).
Approximately 7 x 4-1/2 inches, cream paper,
written in brown ink. Fine. Harrison
(1833â*“1901) was the twentyâ*“third United
States President, March 4, 1889â*“March 3, 1893.
In this letter he declines an invitation to
attend ceremonies at West Point "in connection
with the presentation by you to the Academy of
the portraits of Genls Grant, Sherman and
Sheridan." Childs was a Philadelphia publisher
and philanthropist as well as the author of
Recollections of General Grant. Harrison
holograph letters as President have become very
scarce. $3,000.00 #898

OAKLEAF, Joseph Benjamin. A Reprint of the List
of Books and Pamphlets Relating to Abraham
Lincoln Compiled by Daniel Fish of the Minnesota
Bar in 1906. Rock Island, Illinois: Augustana
Book Concern, 1926. Illustrated. Small quarto,
half morocco over blue cloth, lettered in gilt,
top edges gilt. Spine ends and corners lightly
rubbed, spine a little mottled, else fine. One of
102 of a total edition of 108, signed by Oakleaf.
This reprint is a verbatim copy of the original
bibliography by Daniel Fish, issued in 1906,
except that the two portraits of Lincoln are
different, and a portrait of Fish has been added.
[Monaghan 1499 "issued to accompany Monaghan
2801"]. $350.00 #45515

PIERCE, Franklin. Autograph Letter signed, to
William L. Marcy, Secretary of State . N. p.:
Monday Evening, Undated. 4 pp. (two pages blank).
Approximately 7 x 4-1/2 inches, light tan stock,
written in brown ink. Some fragile browned outer
creases, ink strong. Franklin Pierce (1804-1869),
fourteenth United States President, March 4,
1853-March 3, 1857. President Pierce invites the
"Ladies of your household to be present at the
reception tomorrowâ*¦It would afford Mrs. Pierce
and myself much pleasureâ*¦" Marcy ranks high on
the list of U.S. Secretaries of State.
Twenty-four treaties were negotiated during his
tenure, the most famous being the Gadsen Purchase
from Mexico. $1,250.00 #1284

REAGAN, Ronald. Typed Letter signed, to Tommy
Fox. Sacramento: January 28, 1972. 1 p.
Approximately 10-1/2 x 7-1/4 inches, one sheet on
State of California, Governor's Office
letterhead. First two letters of signature ink
has run a little (letters intact), else fine.
(1911- ) Fortieth President of the United States,
January 20, 1981â*“January 20, 1989. "Thank you
for your recent letterâ*¦ I appreciate your
generous comments about my former career. I'm
afraid that at the moment I have no pictures from
my days in the motion picturesâ*¦" $300.00 #RH1463

TAFT, William Howard. Typed Letter signed, to
Robert Reaves Gramer. The White House: March 2,
1911. 1 p. Approximately 9 x 6-3/4 inches, cream
stock, blue typescript, black ink signature. One
fold, slight browning at edges, number 57 in
black ink at top. Taft (1857â*“1930) was the
twentyâ*“seventh United States President, March
4, 1909â*“March 3, 1913, and became the only
president to serve on the Supreme Court. "I have
known Dr. John Wesley Hill as the pastor of the
Methodist Metropolitan Temple in New York and
have known him as a speaker. Indeed, I have
â*˜stumped' with him, and he is a warm friend of
mine. I know he is interested in the
International Peace Forum, but what that involves
I am unable to say. By application to Dr. Hill,
you can doubtless learn all the details in
respect to it." $500.00 #1508

[WASHINGTON, George]. FREEMAN, Douglas Southall.
George Washington A Biography. New York: Charles
Scribner's Sons, 1948. Four volumes, eventually 7
volumes. Illustrated. Octavo, original blue cloth
lettered in gilt on spines, stamped in blind on
front covers, pictorial endpapers, vols. I & II
in publisher's box. Edges very lightly dust
soiled, else fine. First edition. $150.00 #25970

835 Laguna Street
Santa Barbara CA 93101
805-963-1909
M - F 10am - 5pm ** Sa 10am - 2pm
<http://www.RandallHouseRareBooks.com>RandallHouseRareBooks.com
--

Randall House (member Antiquarian Booksellers'
Association of America - http://www.ABAA.org )

(805) 963-1909      fax (805) 963-1650
<http://www.RandallHouseRareBooks.com>

Visa, MC, AmEx, MO, cheques in US funds, institutional billing on request.

Know who your Internet bookseller is! Look for the ABAA membership logo, the
Antiquarian Booksellers' Association of America -
now a 50 year professional organization requiring
its members to have a proven track record of
knowledge and experience, and to abide by a
written code of ethics.