[Rarebooks] FS: Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1823

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Wed Oct 22 09:14:28 EDT 2008

 From our new Internet-only Catalogue--19th Century British Literature
with 141 select items-—now posted on our website:
http://www.erols.com/agvent

Included are letters, manuscripts, association copies, and signed books
by Browning, Byron, Carlyle, Coleridge, De Quincey, Hardy, Rossetti,
Ruskin, Shelley, Wordsworth, and others, as well as first editions by
the above and many others.  Most of the items are brand new to our
inventory and not offered previously.

DE QUINCEY, THOMAS. CONFESSIONS OF AN ENGLISH OPIUM-EATER. London:
Taylor  and  Hessey  1823.  Third Edition.  Third  Edition,  published
anonymously,  bound in contemporary diced Russia leather with  marbled
edges  and  endpapers; iv, 206 pages. First published in book form  in
1822,  De  Quincey's autobiographical study of his opium addiction  is
the  first  literary text in English to chart the evolution of a  drug
addict.  In small script on the rule below the title on the title page
is  written  "De Quincey" in a hand very similar to the  author's  but
very  likely not his. There are no advertisements bound at the end  of
this  copy,  as  were at least with the first two  editions.  Recently
rebacked  retaining nearly all of the original spine but not the spine
label. Near Fine                                               $450.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $9.00 for the first book, $5.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent