[Rarebooks] FS: Scarce 6 Volume PICTURESQUE AMERICA

Kaaterskill Books books at kaaterskillbooks.com
Wed Apr 8 11:55:04 EDT 2009

We offer for Sale:

Bryant, William Cullen; Bunce, Oliver Bell.
PICTURESQUE AMERICA; OR THE LAND WE LIVE IN. [TWO
VOLUMES IN SIX]. New York: D. Appleton and Co.,
(1872). Profusion of plates and illustrations.
Folio. Publisher's brick red pebbled cloth
stamped in gilt and black. Sabin 62692 (2 vol.
issue). BAL 1732.2.

"A delineation by pen and pencil of the
mountains, rivers, lakes, forests, water-falls,
shores, canõns, valleys, cities, and other
picturesque features of our country. With
illustrations on steel and wood, by eminent
American artists." Blanck notes two editions (no
priority) this being no.2 with the statement
"edited by William Cullen Bryant" on each title
page and the re-written, extended preface bearing
Bryant's name at the end. This edition was the
one also issued in six volumes. Rare as a six
volume set in publisher's cloth (usually seen in
two volumes, occasionally four).

While Oliver B. Bunce did the main literary work,
Bryant edited and reviewed the everything to "see
that no nonsense crept into the text" (BAL
p.355). "This truly superb work consists of a
complete description and elaborate pictorial
illustration of the greater part of the North
American Continent. It portrays the great
mountain-ranges, the lakes, the valleys, the
grand primitive forests, the cascades, the
magnificent rivers, the towns and cities, in
brief, all the picturesque aspects of our land
from Canada to the Gulf, from the Atlantic to the
Pacific. For several years artists were specially
employed in visiting different parts of the Union
for the purpose of procuring designs for this
work. The views, hence, are not only original and
trustworthy, but possess the vividness of
personal observation, and include the movement
and life characteristic of each locality. The
volumes are something more than a gallery of
landscapes; they exhibit our people in their
methods of living and traveling, delineate the
picturesque phases of commerce, as well as the
sublime forms of our hills, show the often
beautiful setting of our cities, and portray the
active and brilliant panorama of our bays and
rivers. All the marvelously varied phases of our
country are set forth with the utmost fullness,
so that the work in its completeness forms a
splendid pictorial cyclopaedia of American life,
scenery, and places. The illustrations of this
great work alone cost fully one hundred and
thirty thousand dollars. The engravings consist
of steel and wood. The steel plates are printed
on heavy, toned plate-paper; the wood
illustrations are of the finest character, and
abundantly interspersed through the text, which
is printed on heavy, extra- calendered, toned
paper; the size imperial quarto," (From the
publisher's advertisement in the Gems of the
Centennial Exhibition, Phila. 1876).

Very good or better copies, wear to a few spine
ends, minor edgewear, the odd light foxing else
contents about fine. A beautiful set in uncommon
issue.  [34251] $1200.00

http://www.kaaterskillbooks.com/img/34251.jpg

Regards,

Charles Kutcher
Kaaterskill Books
P. O. Box 122
East Jewett, NY 12424
email: books at kaaterskillbooks.com
phone: 518-589-0555
www.kaaterskillbooks.com
Members ABAA/ILAB

TERMS:

Call or email us to reserve a book. We accept
checks, money orders, American Express,
Mastercard, and Visa. Foreign orders should be in
U.S. funds on a U.S. bank. New York residents
please add appropriate sales tax or forward a tax
id number. Libraries and Institutions can be
billed. Trade allowance. Postage for Domestic
orders is $4.00 for the first book and $1.50 for
each additional volume. Books are normally
shipped Media Mail. For international orders,
postage is calculated individually. All books may
be returned in original condition for any reason
within two weeks with prior notification.