[Rarebooks] FS: African Game Trails INSCRIBED by Teddy Roosevelt to journalist John Pratt

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu Apr 9 11:33:18 EDT 2009

ROOSEVELT,  Theodore  (Teddy ROOSEVELT). AFRICAN GAME  TRAILS.  AN
ACCOUNT  OF  THE AFRICAN WANDERINGS OF AN AMERICAN  HUNTER-NATURALIST.
New  York:  Charles  Scribner's Sons 1910. First  Edition.  The  First
Trade  Edition  bound in publisher's decorated cloth, neatly  rebacked
with  the  original spine laid down; xv, [i], 529  pages.  Illustrated
with  photographs,  drawings, and maps. INSCRIBED and SIGNED to  "John
B.  Pratt/with  the  best wishes of/Theodore Roosevelt" on  the  front
endpaper.  Roosevelt loved travel and was the first standing president
to  travel  abroad.  Shortly after he retired from the  presidency  in
1909,  he  sailed for Africa returning a year later. This book  is  an
account  of  his African hunting trip and is not often seen signed  by
Roosevelt  outside of the edition limited to 500 copies issued by  the
publisher  signed.  Pratt  was a journalist who  often  traveled  with
Roosevelt  during his presidency, even going to South America to  meet
Roosevelt  upon  his return from his explorations in the  interior  of
Brazil. As a correspondent for the International News service in 1912,
Pratt  was  present  and wrote about the  attempted  assassination  of
Roosevelt  after  which,  with  a bullet in his  chest  and  bleeding,
Roosevelt  made  an eighty-minute speech before nine thousand  people.
Afterward,  in the hospital, Pratt wrote that when asked by his doctor
why  he did not seek immediate medical attention, Roosevelt responded,
"Any  way,  if I had to die, I wanted to die with my boots  on."  Very
Good or better with an attractive association.                $6500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $10.00 for the first book, $5.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent