[Rarebooks] FS - Psalter with illuminated page

GREENFIELD BOOKS mail at greenfieldbooks.com
Sat Apr 11 14:10:10 EDT 2009

*[Psalter]. /PSALTERZ KROLOWEJ MALGORZATY PIERWSZEJ MALZONKI LUDWIKA I.
KROLA POLSKIEGO I WEGIERSKIEGO CORKI KROLA CZESKIEGO I CESARZA KAROLA
IV/.* W. Drukarni ant. Straussa, Wieden (Vienna). 1834. 1st edition,
4to, pp. xv, 92. The boards measure 28 x 23 cm. The folded illuminated
page (frontispiece) measures 39.5 x 27 cm (unfolded - edge to edge).

A rough translation of the title is: "Psalter of Queen Margaret, first
wife of Louis I, king of Poland and Hungary, the daughter of the Emperor
and Czech King Charles IV." The title page goes on to say that this is
"the oldest known example of Polish literature" ("Najastarszy dotad
znany pomnik pismiennictwa polskiego"). According to the Polish-language
Wikipedia site, the original Psalter (or Book of Psalms) is from the end
of the 14th century. It was discovered in 1827 and acquired by Poland in
1931, where it is is presently kept in the Polish National Library. It
was first published in book form in Vienna (Weiden) in 1834, as a result
of the efforts of the Polish publisher Stanislawa John Borkowski. This
psalter is also known as the Hedwig Psalterz, its name being taken from
a village in Austria - St. Florian (perhaps where it was created?). The
work is primarily in Polish with some notes and headings in Latin. All
150 psalms of the original manuscript are present in the printed text,
as is an Errata page.

The beautiful illuminated page, mounted as a frontispiece, shows some
staining and creasing (to the bottom right). However, the colours are
particularly bright and the angelic figures at the bottom of the page
are sharp and well-defined. The text on this single page is in what
appears to be a mixture of Polish and Latin. The boards are very worn
and rather soiled. The printed pages are somewhat foxed, mainly in the
margins, and the binding is stressed, but intact. Small oval rubber
stamp to bottom right of title page which reads: "Henryk H.R. Morszytn".
Altogether, a very unusual item, and historically important.

A photo of the illuminated page is available at
http://www.greenfieldbooks.com/psalter.html

Price: $1,000.00.

Terms of sale - The price is in US funds. Payment by check or credit
card. Known institutions may be billed. Postage and packing charge is
$10. Returnable within seven days of receipt if not as described.

Greenfield Books Ltd.
Rare books sought, bought and sold
Member: ABAC/ILAB
217 Academy Road,