[Rarebooks] FS: McKenney & Hall Folio: HISTORY OF THE INDIAN TRIBES OF NORTH AMERICA, 1838, with hand-colored plates

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Tue Apr 14 09:35:54 EDT 2009

 From our new Spring Catalog recently posted on our website:
http://www.erols.com/agvent

McKENNEY, Thomas L. and HALL, James. HISTORY OF THE INDIAN  TRIBES
OF  NORTH  AMERICA,  WITH BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES AND ANECDOTES  OF  THE
PRINCIPAL  CHIEFS....  Philadelphia:  Frederick  W.  Greenbough  1838.
First  Edition. ...EMBELLISHED WITH PORTRAITS FROM THE INDIAN  GALLERY
IN  THE  DEPARTMENT  OF WAR, AT WASHINGTON. The first volume  of  this
magnificent   three-volume  set.  Folio  (14-3/4"   x  21")  bound  in
contemporary  half  red  morocco  with matching  corners  and  marbled
boards,  gilt-decorated spine with six raised bands and matching black
morocco  spine  labels.  Illustrated with  48  beautiful  hand-colored
lithographs  of  Native  Americans  based on  original  oil  portraits
painted  from  life  in  the  studio of Charles  Bird  King,  to  whom
McKenney  brought  many  of the subjects. The rest  were  copied  from
watercolors  executed  in the field by a young frontier  artist  named
James   Otto  Lewis.  The  finished   portraits  were  housed  in  the
Smithsonian  where  all  but four were destroyed in a  fire  in  1865.
There  appearance here is not only the best but in many cases the only
likenesses  of  many  of  the most prominent  Indian  leaders  of  the
nineteenth  century. Bennett, p. 79; BAL 6934; Field 992; Howes  M129:
"The  most  colorful  portraits of Indians ever executed";  Reese  24:
"the  grandest color plate book issued in the United States up to  the
time  of  its  publication,  and  one of the  most  important  of  the
century";  Sabin  43410a.  Bookplate of Samuel Spaight Reeves  on  the
front  pastedown.  Some  rubbing  to the  binding;  plates  clean  and
bright.                                                     $50,000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $25.00.  Overseas postage billed at

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent