[Rarebooks] FS: Early 19th Century Irish Comedy (Agar-Charlotte Dacre?)

Robinson Street Books bookbuyer0001 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 20 15:51:00 EDT 2009

Early 19th Century Irish Comedy

Agar, Mrs. Edward (Agar, Theodora Louisa) Reward of
Constancy. A Comedy, in Five Acts, By Mrs. Edward Agar,
Authoress of "Elvira; or, Fatal Errors," and "Zofloya; or,
The Moor." Dramatised from the Novel of Rosa Matilda.

Dublin, 1818, "Printed for the authoress" by T. Henderson,
117, Capel Street.

85pp + errata. Bound in modern cloth from title page, to
errata page.

"Also attributed to Charlotte Dacre (Rosa Matilda, pseud.)"
As noted in Huntington Library Catalogue.

Yet another Charlotte Dacre pseudonym, or an original work
from an unknown 19th Century Irish Playwright adapting the
work of Dacre to the stage?

Very much an interesting original play, to me, by an
unknown Irish Woman playwright. Or Dacre?

"The Public will not allow that a female could dramatise,
merely because in these kingdoms it has not been commonly done."
--From Introduction.

and from the play the following:

"Dor.  Lovers!  What, a married Lady, Lovers? I
don't like, for my part, to be made game of, Sir, let me
tell you.

Wil.  My dear Mrs. Dorcas, you have been living like a
hermitess here. You know nothing of fashionable life. Indeed
the married ladies have their lovers.  Now let me count
those of my last mistress for you:- There was Lord
Spindleshanks, Sir Harry Powerwell, Lord John Buckrum, and
Captain Doolittle.  My Lady is Devilish handsome, and
devilish knowing too; she pretended to be in love with them
all, and each beau thought himself was the favorite."

Minor old dampstaining to few pages, some foxing, else very
good.

Worldcat shows only Yale and Huntington Library
holdings.  Rare.

$750

All books are offered subject to prior sale.  Postage
is extra at $4.50 for media mail, and $7.50 for priority
mail, Overseas postage quoted.  Payment accepted:
Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Amex, Paypal, Checks, money orders.
Billing available to those known to us in good standing
and institutions. Books returnable for any reason within 10
days of receipt.

Robinson Street Books
184 Robinson Street
Binghamton, NY 13904
607-217-4328
info at robinsonstreetbooks.com

Mon-Fri 9am-6pm (eastern) Sat, Sun and Holidays by chance.
Our offices and warehouse not open to the public.

http://robinsonstreetbooks.com

Member of: The Manuscript Society