[Rarebooks] FS: Inscribed Association Copy of Dreiser's SISTER CARRIE

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Tue Dec 1 13:57:53 EST 2009

DREISER, Theodore. SISTER CARRIE. New York: Boni & Liveright, (1925).
Reprint. A scarce book in its true First Edition of 1900, this is a
fairly early copy of a book rarely found signed let alone with such a
superb presentation. This copy INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author on the
front endpaper: "For/George W. Wilder/-The book that/introduced me -
but/twenty years after/from/Theodore Dreiser/N.Y. April - 1926." Wilder,
president of Butterick Publications, met Dreiser in June 1907, and on
the basis of his growing reputation for SISTER CARRIE, hired him as
editor-in-chief of his magazine THE DELINEATOR. Dreiser's statement of
purpose published in the September issue of the magazine centered around
woman's mastery of her own destiny, and he dedicated the publication "to
strengthening her in her moral fight for righteousness in the world."
Many of the magazine's readers were mothers, and one of the first series
of articles that Dreiser commissioned was on the care and feeding of
infants by Dr. Leonard K. Hirschberg, articles largely written by H. L.
Mencken. Dreiser's relationship with Mencken eventually became one of
the most interesting literary relationships of the twentieth century. A
wonderful opportunity to obtain an outstanding association copy of one
of the groundbreaking literary works of the twentieth century. Area of
discoloration to the cloth at the upper right front corner; spine mildly
sunned. Very Good or better with a fine association.    $5,000.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each

info at charlesagvent.com