[Rarebooks] FS: Superb D.H. Lawrence Letter with excellent content on his work and on America

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Wed Dec 9 11:50:28 EST 2009

 From our Fall Catalog of 60 New Arrivals now posted on our website:
http://www.charlesagvent.com. It contains a fine miscellany, most of
this caliber, in a variety of fields including Literature, Presidential,
Hand-colored Plates, Autograph Letters, Early Printing, Americana, etc.

LAWRENCE, D. H. AUTOGRAPHED LETTER SIGNED (ALS). Questa, New Mexico, 25
February 1923. Superb two-page letter mentioning his work as well as his
views of America, SIGNED as "D. H. Lawrence" with an initialed
postcript. Addressed from the Del Monte Ranch to noted author and critic
Gilbert Seldes on both sides of an 8-1/2" x 11" sheet of paper. In full:
"Your letter from Semmering last evening. - We were in Austria in 1921.
THE CAPTAIN'S DOLL ends in Zell-am-See. I often think of Austria. Let
Curtis Brown have KANGAROO as soon as you can, will you? (Not THE K.) I
don't really mind if you mention it before it is published. It is
usually publishers who have feelings about these things. No, I am not
disappointed in America. I said I was coming to Europe this spring. But
I don't want to. We leave in a fortnight for Old Mexico. Perhaps I shall
come back here. If you write, address me c/o Thomas Seltzer, 5 West 50th
St. But I feel, about U.S.A., as I vaguely felt a long time ago: that
this is a vast, unreal, intermediary thing intervening between the real
thing which was Europe and the next real thing, which will probably be
in America, but which isn't yet, at all. Seems to one a vast
death-happening must come first. But probably it is here, in America (I
don't say just U.S.A.) that the quick will keep alive & come through. I
got proofs of the Prof. Sherman criticism along with your letter. Hope
it will Amuse you." The postscript: "If you go to Vienna, look up
Elizabeth Humes, at the Office of the American Commercial Commission.
I'm sure you'd like her. My wife & I like her very much." Folds from
mailing with some edgewear and small chips. Very Good.   $3,500.00

Gilbert Seldes--critic, editor, novelist, playwright, screenwriter--was
the first American intellectual to lend legitimacy to popular culture.
Seldes was managing editor of THE DIAL and wrote one of the first
American reviews of James Joyce's ULYSSES for THE NATION. He also wrote
radio scripts and became the first director of television for CBS News
and the founding dean of the Annenberg School of Communications at the
University of Pennsylvania.

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each

info at charlesagvent.com